Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 6th September 2017, 08:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiebg1 View Post
Mine is identical to the file you posted. Does anyone have a sample of one that works?
The Personal Genome Project hosts user-submitted raw data files. The one I used for my comparisons was this one which was submitted before the recent changes to AncestryDNA's raw data.
Old 7th September 2017, 05:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unhappy AncestryDNA file won't upload

Looks like I'm not alone in my problem with uploading a file to FTDNA. I had no problem with GEDmatch and have tried multiple attempts after downloading multiple raw files from Ancestry.com. Extremely disappointing after looking forward to viewing my matches on FTDNA.

Any new advice for those that have tried everything from the past threads?
Old 8th September 2017, 01:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancestry Web Download Known Issue

I've contacted Ancestry by phone last week and just now over this issue.

The CSR last week had no idea what I was talking about, and told me to just keep downloading the data file because maybe it had been corrupted the first time and that there was nothing further Ancestry could do to help because of privacy restrictions. I was waiting until I received some in-process results to compare (sorry, @Ann Turner!), but the most current results I received was the full 18.1 megs and had zero problems transferring to other websites.

The CSR today had more information for me, and according to their supervisor it was a known issue for Ancestry and the problem has to do with the email link to download and NOT with the lab analysis. Ancestry's developers are working to resolve the problem but don't know how long it might take, so in the meantime we should sit tight and keep checking in on our raw data files.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:11 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooni View Post
I've contacted Ancestry by phone last week and just now over this issue.

The CSR last week had no idea what I was talking about, and told me to just keep downloading the data file because maybe it had been corrupted the first time and that there was nothing further Ancestry could do to help because of privacy restrictions. I was waiting until I received some in-process results to compare (sorry, @Ann Turner!), but the most current results I received was the full 18.1 megs and had zero problems transferring to other websites.

The CSR today had more information for me, and according to their supervisor it was a known issue for Ancestry and the problem has to do with the email link to download and NOT with the lab analysis. Ancestry's developers are working to resolve the problem but don't know how long it might take, so in the meantime we should sit tight and keep checking in on our raw data files.

Thanks for letting us know! Mine hasn't uploaded in the 100 plus attempts I have made over the last two months. Hopefully it works soon enough.
Old 12th September 2017, 01:06 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obriejen View Post
Thanks for letting us know! Mine hasn't uploaded in the 100 plus attempts I have made over the last two months. Hopefully it works soon enough.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, we should be waiting for the .zip file to contain the proper 18.1 MG .txt file. I think successfully uploading any other size file is a lost cause for the majority of us. I had no idea it started as far back as two months ago, though... :/
Old 12th September 2017, 09:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format

I am having the exact same problem.

DavidHJudge@comcast.net
Old 12th September 2017, 10:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Throwing in the BS flag

So, I have been dealing with this issue for my son's and husband's files for a month now. I've downloaded both at least a couple dozen times each. I've spoken with 5 CSRs, 4 managers and a manager's manager (presumably) and emailed customer solutions twice. I have been told it is a ploy from FTDNA to get me to purchase their kit. I've been told that because I purchased kits from Amazon that all of the data is stored there and I needed to contact THEM. I've been told that there are multiple versions, not just V1 and V2, and that they are processed randomly and there is no standardized size for the data files. I've been told that because the files are for my husband and son, since they are male, their files will be smaller as there is a difference between data on the X and the "M!" I am tired of asking for someone to give me a straight answer! I am tired of being spoken to as if I am ignorant!
Old 13th September 2017, 07:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

One thing that somebody could if they have access to a file that did work and one that didn't work: load the working version into Excel and make a template by replacing the data in allele1 and allele2 columns with 0 (no-call).

Skip a couple of columns, and paste the rejected file beside it. Then use Excel's VLOOKUP formula to populate the empty columns with data from the rejected file. You might end up with #N/A instead of 0 for the missing data, but that can be fixed later.

Trim the extra columns and save the file as text. Edit it to replace #N/A with 0. This is a thought experiment, and I might have overlooked a critical step. I'd be willing to give this a go if someone will send me the files. My email is DNACousins@gmail.com.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Make Them Check Their Own News System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFegley View Post
So, I have been dealing with this issue for my son's and husband's files for a month now. I've downloaded both at least a couple dozen times each. I've spoken with 5 CSRs, 4 managers and a manager's manager (presumably) and emailed customer solutions twice. I have been told it is a ploy from FTDNA to get me to purchase their kit. I've been told that because I purchased kits from Amazon that all of the data is stored there and I needed to contact THEM. I've been told that there are multiple versions, not just V1 and V2, and that they are processed randomly and there is no standardized size for the data files. I've been told that because the files are for my husband and son, since they are male, their files will be smaller as there is a difference between data on the X and the "M!" I am tired of asking for someone to give me a straight answer! I am tired of being spoken to as if I am ignorant!
This is ridiculous. I was so frustrated on your behalf I called back to ask if there was a specific name for the issue, but the CSR was only able to confirm that it was an email problem. However, instead of checking with a colleague or manager, this person got the information from the in-house newsboard for Ancestry representatives. While there was no estimated completion date, it was listed. In future, try telling the CSR to check the "What's Shaking" board for updates, because it's posted as a known problem.
Old 17th September 2017, 06:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooni View Post
This is ridiculous. I was so frustrated on your behalf I called back to ask if there was a specific name for the issue, but the CSR was only able to confirm that it was an email problem. However, instead of checking with a colleague or manager, this person got the information from the in-house newsboard for Ancestry representatives. While there was no estimated completion date, it was listed. In future, try telling the CSR to check the "What's Shaking" board for updates, because it's posted as a known problem.
Nooni,

Thank you. I am just so frustrated with the people at Ancestry. I can't believe anything anyone says. They say one thing, I ask a question or point out how illogical what they've said is and they either admit it "was a guess" or dig a deeper hole for themselves. It is ridiculous.