Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 30th March 2017, 08:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for sharing this story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Clerk View Post
The enemy commander boasted to his troops it would take One Million Men, One Hundred Years to overcome his Pacific Island atoll fortress. Two years of much forced labor construction on the atoll of Tarawa had convinced him the atoll could not be 'taken' by American or Allied forces during WW2.

Enter the United States Marines! In three days and four hours the Island atoll and airstrip was in Allied hands and the boastful enemy commander lay mortally wounded among the dead.

Two weeks ago an FTDNA cousin of mine received a message on her ancestry dot com page. It was from a group of volunteers for the Marines in Quantico, VA.

They said they were using ancestry dot com in an attempt to locate a living female relative of American Marine, Bob Doil Herman. PvtFC Marine Herman died in the Sands of Tarawa on Nov. 20, 1943. His remains were lost to time for 72 years! Recently, volunteers located remains which they believe could belong to cousin Bob. They told my FTDNA cousin they would need a living female born of a surname female of Bob's maternal line for a mtDNA test to ID the remains. My FTDNA cousin or I did not qualify but we located a living female relative who matched their needs.

Marine Herman's remains will be returning to the Land and Liberty he defended and the World he, in part, helped save.

We are so grateful for the field of genealogy and DNA sites. Who knows if the tests we take today will help unknown future family members in ways we cannot imagine?

Thank You FTDNA
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing this.

Best regards, Doug(Veteran)
Old 20th June 2017, 02:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Biological Father

A brief note, to all good people out there looking for relatives do not give up.
Mine is a Y-DNA story. I was born in England in 1945 my biological father was an American Airman who went back went back to the States at the end of the war, leaving my mother unmarried and having to rear me by herself.
I did a 37 marker test at the end of 2015 and discovered he came from Alabama, and unfortunately had died in 1996.
I hoped on a plane to Alabama and met a half brother, his son, who I am still in contact with.
So even after 70 years things still happen.
I am prepared to elaborate on this story if anyone is interested.

Regards Philip Smithers
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip591 View Post
A brief note, to all good people out there looking for relatives do not give up.
Mine is a Y-DNA story. I was born in England in 1945 my biological father was an American Airman who went back went back to the States at the end of the war, leaving my mother unmarried and having to rear me by herself.
I did a 37 marker test at the end of 2015 and discovered he came from Alabama, and unfortunately had died in 1996.
I hoped on a plane to Alabama and met a half brother, his son, who I am still in contact with.
So even after 70 years things still happen.
I am prepared to elaborate on this story if anyone is interested.
I'm interested. I found this very touching.
Old 14th August 2017, 05:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

Smile

hi iam ritu born in india but indian parents and public didnot treat me well so I had my ancestry dna test done it says Iam 46 percent european 28 percent east asian 24% subsaharan african 2% indigenous american and thus I came to know why Iam treated badly by indian parents and public. Now I am looking for my true parents kins and race freinds .please help me.ask if anybody with my dna type lost a kin since 1967.
Old 28th August 2017, 07:58 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritu View Post
hi iam ritu born in india but indian parents and public didnot treat me well so I had my ancestry dna test done it says Iam 46 percent european 28 percent east asian 24% subsaharan african 2% indigenous american and thus I came to know why Iam treated badly by indian parents and public. Now I am looking for my true parents kins and race freinds .please help me.ask if anybody with my dna type lost a kin since 1967.
You need to say which tests you took, and which DNA type you are. In other words, Y test was taken, Haplogroup whatever...do you match any surnames in particular? Please know that the DNA combines differently in families, so you could look different from your sister or brother. Also, you sound like that you are an interesting mixture, so do not let anyone disrespect for what you appear to be.