Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 6th April 2017, 10:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

communicating with new cousin

i've always been interested in genealogy. i originally submitted my DNA to national geographic for MtDNA analysis, then had it transferred to here. but, didn't get my chromosomal DNA sequenced until recently.

i was most interested in finding more on my dad's side, particularly the swedish connection. i was curious about my mom's side too as i never really knew them. there was estrangement there, so this has also been a bit of a healing process for me. i've been wanting to know what my mom's relatives were like as people.

well, when my chromosomal results came in in january and i got two 2nd cousin matches, many more cMs than any other match. one of them reached out to me, but i didn't recognize the surname and thought it was my dad's side. then another cousin reached out and we confirmed that my g-grandmother and his g-grandfather were siblings on my mom's side! my g-grandmother and another brother emigrated to the US in early 1900 and lost contact with everyone else. very sad.

my new cousin (who luckily speaks/writes english well) and i have been emailing much the last few weeks, exchanging family info, sharing photos, and clarifying some misunderstandings about rumors regarding my g-grandmother's brother. he's been able to trace this line back on paper a few hundred years as well. so, i now know more about my mom's side than my dad's.

i have a cousin in the US too who has been filling-in many blanks. so, i'm learning so much about my mom's side, hearing interesting stories, in just a few weeks. i now know what my g-grandparents and my g-grandmother's relatives look like, after all these years.

also, this surname is an old noble family that's documented going back to the 1300s. my cousin is pretty certain we're connected to a side line of the documented main line, after much professional genealogical research. since this family's history is online and mentioned in history books, it's nice to read about this lineage.

Last edited by hollifer; 6th April 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 6th April 2017, 12:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollifer View Post
i've always been interested in genealogy. i originally submitted my DNA to national geographic for MtDNA analysis, then had it transferred to here. but, didn't get my chromosomal DNA sequenced until recently.

i was most interested in finding more on my dad's side, particularly the swedish connection. i was curious about my mom's side too as i never really knew them. there was estrangement there, so this has also been a bit of a healing process for me. i've been wanting to know what my mom's relatives were like as people.

well, when my chromosomal results came in in january and i got two 2nd cousin matches, many more cMs than any other match. one of them reached out to me, but i didn't recognize the surname and thought it was my dad's side. then another cousin reached out and we confirmed that my g-grandmother and his g-grandfather were siblings on my mom's side! my g-grandmother and another brother emigrated to the US in early 1900 and lost contact with everyone else. very sad.

my new cousin (who luckily speaks/writes english well) and i have been emailing much the last few weeks, exchanging family info, sharing photos, and clarifying some misunderstandings about rumors regarding my g-grandmother's brother. he's been able to trace this line back on paper a few hundred years as well. so, i now know more about my mom's side than my dad's.

i have a cousin in the US too who has been filling-in many blanks. so, i'm learning so much about my mom's side, hearing interesting stories, in just a few weeks. i now know what my g-grandparents and my g-grandmother's relatives look like, after all these years.

also, this surname is an old noble family that's documented going back to the 1300s. my cousin is pretty certain we're connected to a side line of the documented main line, after much professional genealogical research. since this family's history is online and mentioned in history books, it's nice to read about this lineage.
Congrats!!! Happy for your success and meeting biological family.
Old 6th April 2017, 01:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

thank you! i hope the story will continue to unfold. just wish i understand dna analysis more.
Old 6th April 2017, 05:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollifer View Post
thank you! i hope the story will continue to unfold. just wish i understand dna analysis more.
I have been learning since 2009. Just recently got a close dna match, 997cMs on 38 segments to a 1st cousin 1x removed. This is actually high for this relation, but when I factored in the fact that my birth parents shared the same paternal great-grandfather, being 2nd cousins, explains why I share more dna with my 1st cousin 1x removed. When you put together the dna match with genealogy then it usually makes more sense.

Best regards, Doug