Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th March 2017, 09:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for sharing this story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Clerk View Post
The enemy commander boasted to his troops it would take One Million Men, One Hundred Years to overcome his Pacific Island atoll fortress. Two years of much forced labor construction on the atoll of Tarawa had convinced him the atoll could not be 'taken' by American or Allied forces during WW2.

Enter the United States Marines! In three days and four hours the Island atoll and airstrip was in Allied hands and the boastful enemy commander lay mortally wounded among the dead.

Two weeks ago an FTDNA cousin of mine received a message on her ancestry dot com page. It was from a group of volunteers for the Marines in Quantico, VA.

They said they were using ancestry dot com in an attempt to locate a living female relative of American Marine, Bob Doil Herman. PvtFC Marine Herman died in the Sands of Tarawa on Nov. 20, 1943. His remains were lost to time for 72 years! Recently, volunteers located remains which they believe could belong to cousin Bob. They told my FTDNA cousin they would need a living female born of a surname female of Bob's maternal line for a mtDNA test to ID the remains. My FTDNA cousin or I did not qualify but we located a living female relative who matched their needs.

Marine Herman's remains will be returning to the Land and Liberty he defended and the World he, in part, helped save.

We are so grateful for the field of genealogy and DNA sites. Who knows if the tests we take today will help unknown future family members in ways we cannot imagine?

Thank You FTDNA
What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing this.

Best regards, Doug(Veteran)