Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 6th March 2017, 10:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

L2 and L2a

I am 83 % Ashkenazi and did the basic mtDNA test. It turns out that my L2 and L2a with the many variations is uncommon to Ashkenazi. I think less than 1.5 %. I have quite a few L2a matches in Ghana, also Angola, Sierra Leone, South Africa. I also have Native American matches. I am new to this and I have no understanding of why and how I have African and Native American roots.
Thanks for any help
Bob
Old 7th March 2017, 04:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBob View Post
I am 83 % Ashkenazi and did the basic mtDNA test. It turns out that my L2 and L2a with the many variations is uncommon to Ashkenazi. I think less than 1.5 %. I have quite a few L2a matches in Ghana, also Angola, Sierra Leone, South Africa. I also have Native American matches. I am new to this and I have no understanding of why and how I have African and Native American roots.
Thanks for any help
Bob

L2a is estimated to share a common maternal ancestor about 80,000 years ago, so you could be extremely distantly related to most of your matches. You should look at your closest matches and try to identify a more specific subclade of L2a. Your closer matches will be useful for learning more about the origins and migrations of your subclade of L2a.

The current phylotree is here: http://phylotree.org/tree/L2.htm

and Ian Logan list L2 GenBank samples by subclade here: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/sequences_...oup_select.htm