Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 22nd May 2016, 08:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no,no,no that not what im saying. look at all of those that he has match, dont paid much attention to surname. see what snp that they have become positive for, they will be a pattern.

then look at the chart and follow the snp. between what he was positive and what the matches are positive. go as far down as possible and those are the one you test for. Look at the chart.
There won't always be a pattern. Just for an example, but this is common in a lot of people, I have over 200 12 marker matches. Less than 100 but more than 50 have an SNP tested. There are 45 different SNPs in that list. They are in U106, U152, DF27, and L21 subclades. That doesn't help in any way. The best way to determine which subclade a person is in is to have a haplogroup admin look at the STRs but even then many times more STR or SNP testing still needs to be done and it's best to get the R1b-M343 SNP and subsequent packs. That of course is only if the person is interested in finding other people with the same terminal SNP even though doing so isn't genealogically relevant. Since she was only interested in genealogically relevant information even getting the SNP packs isn't helpful.
Old 24th June 2016, 09:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

im sorry , I cant help you, you do not want to listen
Old 25th June 2016, 11:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im sorry , I cant help you, you do not want to listen
It's really the other way around. Testing the same SNPs that 12 and 25 marker M269 matches have isn't helpful at all.
Old 12th December 2016, 04:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

But at least brownbagg is advocating a DIY approach rather than the oft repeated, nauseating "just ask an admin" advice, as if no one else has a brain.
Old 12th December 2016, 05:12 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
But at least brownbagg is advocating a DIY approach rather than the oft repeated, nauseating "just ask an admin" advice, as if no one else has a brain.
FTDNA relies on the haplogroup project administrators for the most up to date knowledge in their haplogroup. If you want to ignore the opinions of the most knowledgeable people, I think you do it at your own peril. I wouldn't ask a vocational nurse about what surgery I need for my condition. I'd ask an MD whose specialty is the surgery for my condition.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, just sayin'.
Old 12th December 2016, 05:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Yes, people have brains. Many people however don't have time or don't want to slow down to search for the information. They instead rush head first into ordering tests that will waste their money with little if anything to gain.

The "ask an admin" reply serves multiple purposes. For starters, it is easier to say that than explain things. It also directs people to attempt to communicate with their admins which might be something they didn't know about or considered. The admins tend to be knowledgeable in their respective projects.

We've seen plenty of examples of people ordering tests that won't help. The DIY option certainly works for many, but it will cause some to waste money. If they wanted a DIY option, they would have researched the information first more thoroughly.