Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 20th August 2016, 01:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Family Finder. So who did you find? Anyone.

First kudos to FTDNA for processing my SNP Pack literally withing a couple of weeks. I was surprised to see the results back so quickly.

Now you folks out there who use Y DNA Family Finder. Did you get anything out of it that made the cost and time worthwhile? At least my SNP pack brought me further into Europe to Moldavia, which figured in the life of the Wallachian Prince Dracul who had family in that part of the Carpathias. Has anybody found any points where your path and the path of someone elses forefather may have crossed? Names were changed as a matter of safety and phony documentation as needed for survival.

My family name is Bergman, I know that there was at least my great grandfather who also carried the secondary name of Preiss, meaning he was either Austrian or was a nickname of whatever it meant in daily life. And I cant find anyone out there who when they do post names, that carries the name Bergman or perhaps uses the name Priess. Surely with such big families as Jews as did so many of our non Jewish neighbors, that I would come across a Bergman or Priess somewhere in the areas related to my SNPS etc.

So who has family finder helped more then just giving a faint hope that maybe someon somewhere in the boonies of the US or Ukraine may or may not be related and really how many really care when you write them and say that you were closely related 5 Paternals ago, but since then the line stopped.

I know Im rambling, Im sorry, but I do know in my fathers town there were 3 clans of Bergmans, distinct for the most part, but all working class family people. After 1942, there was not a single living Bergman left. My father was gone building roads for the krauts, some Uncles snuck into Russia. But no mention of any family there despite the DNA evidence showing a link to Belerussia and the Ukraine and all lands so configured at the time. It feels like there isnt much Family Finder can do other then tell you what you pretty much already have reviewd based on DNA and the Group projects.

Tevye: As the good book says, when a poor man eats a chicken, one of them is sick.
Mendel: Where does the book say that?
Tevye: Well, it doesn't say that exactly, but somewhere there is something about a chicken.

Its like that, somewher there is something about a relative. Thats the feeling I get from reading some experiences. Havent found anybody really overwhelmed with the outcome after all their work.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2016, 06:50 PM
FTDNA Customer

Family finder is extremely useful and can help you confirm other family lines and add them to your tree, lines that in my case I wouldn't have been able to prove any other way.

One example is a case where I was in contact with someone who said they had a family story that they were related to me through a first marriage of a relative. As their 'second' marriage noted the man as a batchelor I was skeptical, however family finder proved the man was correct and the certificate had incorrectly recorded a man as a batchelor (instead of a widow) at his second marriage. Family finder proved our DNA connection and his connection with others has specially pointed to that particular family line.

This is just one of many cases where family finder has been crucial in the extension of my family tree!
Old 27th August 2016, 09:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

OK, it sounds like you are combining two different tests in your post.

The "Family Finder" is the autosomal DNA that traces ALL lines, but it sounds like you are really asking about the yDNA tests which trace only the paternal line.

For the yDNA (paternal line only) - You will find people have mixed results, depending on how many people test that could be matches for you.

My husband's line is "turn of the century"/1890's immigrants. He has a couple matches, but not close matches and no surname matches. I am not surprised.

On the other hand... I tested my dad/grandfather and have had great success and was able to determine a shared common ancestor from the 1700's. I already knew this man was most likely our ancestor, but the paper trail gets confusing because his two sons both had sons with the same name born less than a decade apart. Anyhow, I had joined my surname project and met a few distant cousins and we are collaborating on some of our research.

Back to the actual Family Finder... I see the same thing occurring where our "turn of the century" immigrants have a lot less matches, but our earlier lines have thousands of matches.
Old 28th August 2016, 08:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

Family Finder helped confirm my father's parentage. He was given his mother's maiden name at birth (out of wedlock). His mother eventually married (10+ years later) and my father then assumed the name of the new husband. As kids we were told that the husband really was the father, married at the time, who later divorced and 'made things right' with my grandmother and my dad; we all believed that.

80 years later the paper trail unraveled as census and my dad's birth records/changes became known. Family Finder, however, has confirmed the story and renewed my grandmother's credibility.

On a different line, my grandsons have learned a great deal about their paternal side ancestry via autosomal DNA matches, like Family Finder.

Nearly all the value I've gotten from DNA testing has been through autosomal; none through FMS (yet...) and nothing yet of value from y-111.