Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 12th September 2017, 06:31 AM
FTDNA Customer

Understanding Jewish versus Italian DNA

On Ancestry I show as 59% Ashkenazi Jewish, and on FTDNA I show as 65% Jewish (52% Ashkenazi, 13% Sephardic). On Jtest I show as 19.76% Ashkenazi (about 20% is usually someone who is around 3/4 Jewish) and on Mixed Mode Population Sharing all of them are between 62% and 75% Ashkenazi.

My dad is 100% Ashkenazi Jewish (shows as 100% on Ancestry and FTDNA and 34 on JTest).

But my mom has no known Jewish ancestry and is genealogically 50% English, 25% Italian and 25% Irish.

I got my mom tested and on Ancestry her results are:
Great Britain 26%
Italy/Greece 22%
Europe West 21%
Ireland 15%
Scandinavia 4%
Iberian Peninsula 4%
European Jewish 2%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%
Europe East < 1%
Caucasus 3%
Middle East 1%

On FTDNA she's 61% British Isles and 35% Southern European with no Jewish DNA. Her GEDMATCH Jtest result is 3.3%.

I know that many people who are 100% Italian can show a few percentage points Jewish, but my mother only has one Italian grandparent so it seems strange that so much DNA that the tests think is Jewish is passed to me.

From what I can gather, it appears that a lot of my mother's Italian DNA is being tagged by all of these tests as Jewish for me but Italian for her.

Can anyone help me understand?
Old 12th September 2017, 11:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infososo View Post
On Ancestry I show as 59% Ashkenazi Jewish, and on FTDNA I show as 65% Jewish (52% Ashkenazi, 13% Sephardic). On Jtest I show as 19.76% Ashkenazi (about 20% is usually someone who is around 3/4 Jewish) and on Mixed Mode Population Sharing all of them are between 62% and 75% Ashkenazi.

My dad is 100% Ashkenazi Jewish (shows as 100% on Ancestry and FTDNA and 34 on JTest).

But my mom has no known Jewish ancestry and is genealogically 50% English, 25% Italian and 25% Irish.

I got my mom tested and on Ancestry her results are:
Great Britain 26%
Italy/Greece 22%
Europe West 21%
Ireland 15%
Scandinavia 4%
Iberian Peninsula 4%
European Jewish 2%
Finland/Northwest Russia < 1%
Europe East < 1%
Caucasus 3%
Middle East 1%

On FTDNA she's 61% British Isles and 35% Southern European with no Jewish DNA. Her GEDMATCH Jtest result is 3.3%.

I know that many people who are 100% Italian can show a few percentage points Jewish, but my mother only has one Italian grandparent so it seems strange that so much DNA that the tests think is Jewish is passed to me.

From what I can gather, it appears that a lot of my mother's Italian DNA is being tagged by all of these tests as Jewish for me but Italian for her.

Can anyone help me understand?
My guess is that you are probably correct--your mother has minimal Jewish lines. At this point MO 2 lacks some empirical support.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh w. View Post
My guess is that you are probably correct--your mother has minimal Jewish lines. At this point MO 2 lacks some empirical support.
What I don't understand is why I show as more than 50% Jewish on all of the tests. It seems like they are tagging DNA I got from her as Jewish when they are tagging it her as Italian.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:52 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
What I don't understand is why I show as more than 50% Jewish on all of the tests. It seems like they are tagging DNA I got from her as Jewish when they are tagging it her as Italian.
Mostly because much European Jewish DNA is literally Italian DNA from 2,000-1,200 years ago, so the calculator rotates between considering it Italian or Sephardic.

Also because your mother could indeed have a small amount of genuine Jewish ancestry, especially if she has any roots in Sicily or Calabria or Rome.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well. I think I understand the connection/overlap between Italian and Jewish DNA, as in it is very typical for someone who is full Italian to have some DNA that is seen as Jewish DNA. What I don't understand is why the same company (Ancestry, for example) would look at the very same DNA that I inherited from my mother and call it Jewish in me and Italian in her.

Ie. why am I 59% Jewish on the same test that my mother is only 2% Jewish? It seems like the company would have the same algorithm applied and so that the DNA she passed to me should be classified the same way in both of us.

The only way it makes sense to me is if I am at the absolute bottom of the range that they supplied, ie. 55%-66% and my mother is at the top of the range they gave her, 0-6%.This is statistically unlikely and also doesn't explain why I got such a high count on the GEDMatch Jtest, where my results are more in line with someone who is 3/4 Jewish.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well. I think I understand the connection/overlap between Italian and Jewish DNA, as in it is very typical for someone who is full Italian to have some DNA that is seen as Jewish DNA. What I don't understand is why the same company (Ancestry, for example) would look at the very same DNA that I inherited from my mother and call it Jewish in me and Italian in her.

Ie. why am I 59% Jewish on the same test that my mother is only 2% Jewish? It seems like the company would have the same algorithm applied and so that the DNA she passed to me should be classified the same way in both of us.

'You get a 59% Jewish pattern when it theoretically should be 50%. This is not a large difference. The tests should be taken with a grain of salt and are not as precise as the numbers suggest. Khazaria has indicated how your mother might have a bit of Jewish ancestry.

The only way it makes sense to me is if I am at the absolute bottom of the range that they supplied, ie. 55%-66% and my mother is at the top of the range they gave her, 0-6%.This is statistically unlikely and also doesn't explain why I got such a high count on the GEDMatch Jtest, where my results are more in line with someone who is 3/4 Jewish.

Last edited by josh w.; 13th September 2017 at 06:21 PM.