Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 10th September 2017, 08:45 AM
FTDNA Customer

not enough matchs showing in FTDNA

I found people who are realted to me from DNALAND and .
GEDMATCH who used ancestry dna
maybe I should buy ancestry dna test and receive more matchs than familyfinder?
Old 10th September 2017, 12:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv View Post
I found people who are realted to me from DNALAND and .
GEDMATCH who used ancestry dna
maybe I should buy ancestry dna test and receive more matchs than familyfinder?
First, you should upload to My Heritage (it's free). If you need more matches, you can buy the Ancestry kit. If that's still not enough, buy the 23&me kit as well.
Old 10th September 2017, 12:48 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

As far as Family Finder goes, you will definitely have a lot more matches at Ancestry, because their database is many times larger. But they advertise their test as a way to find your ethnicity, so, as you might expect most people have no trees and don't reply to email. They sign in once or twice after they get their results, look at their ethnicity report and never sign in again.

The worst thing is, they have no chromosome browser.

I have about a dozen Harpring matches there, but only one here, however not one of the Harpring matches at Ancestry will reply to email, so there's no way to know what segments we share. Same with Calvin. 2 or 3 here and dozens there, but no way to do any triangulating and segment mapping.

If Ancestry had a chromosome browser I might have been able to break down a brick wall by now.
Old 10th September 2017, 03:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

are there any other web site beside gedmatch and dnaland. I feel buying new kit is disappointment since i already have the dna raw date from FTDNA
Old 10th September 2017, 04:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

You might also have some settings on your FTDNA kit that block you from seeing more matches. I saw this happen with someone else's kit once. Do the following.

Log into your kit. Move your mouse over your kit number shown on the top right side of the screen. Go to Account Settings. Then click on Match and Email Settings. In the Family Finder Matches settings click "Yes" for all 4 categories (Immediate, Close, Distant, and Speculative). If you have "No" on any of these, that will explain why some of your matches do not appear.

There are no other sites where you can transfer your raw data that will be of use other than MyHeritage. You would need to order new kits on other places like Ancestry and 23andMe.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:20 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
As far as Family Finder goes, you will definitely have a lot more matches at Ancestry, because their database is many times larger. But they advertise their test as a way to find your ethnicity, so, as you might expect most people have no trees and don't reply to email. They sign in once or twice after they get their results, look at their ethnicity report and never sign in again.

The worst thing is, they have no chromosome browser.

I have about a dozen Harpring matches there, but only one here, however not one of the Harpring matches at Ancestry will reply to email, so there's no way to know what segments we share. Same with Calvin. 2 or 3 here and dozens there, but no way to do any triangulating and segment mapping.

If Ancestry had a chromosome browser I might have been able to break down a brick wall by now.
My Heritage are under block for my country.
second.
I found that match name can found in facebook instead email. then some people names in my
matchs maybe from other website could be used in facebook
DNA tests are not available in your country

Last edited by niv; 11th September 2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

I couldn't upload my raw date My Heritage maybe someone can download my date?
people from 23andme or Ancestry, could used their name with facebook

Last edited by niv; 11th September 2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11th September 2017, 07:12 AM
FTDNA Customer

How many matches do you have? Most of my project members have 3,000 to 4,000. Members who transferred from the new Ancestry have less than 1,000.

At one time you had to have an Ancestry account to have all of the Ancestry DNA results. I don't know if this is still true or not.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv View Post
I couldn't upload my raw date My Heritage maybe someone can download my date?
people from 23andme or Ancestry, could used their name with facebook
I haven't tried to transfer to MyHeritage yet. It is possible they are having issues as they are still new to this. Or perhaps they don't accept FTDNA data? Make sure to try the options I mentioned before in case you have some of your FTDNA matches blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
How many matches do you have? Most of my project members have 3,000 to 4,000. Members who transferred from the new Ancestry have less than 1,000.

At one time you had to have an Ancestry account to have all of the Ancestry DNA results. I don't know if this is still true or not.
Well he says he took the Family Finder and has not taken AncestryDNA. He is trying to transfer FTDNA data to MyHeritage.

As for the Ancestry account stuff, a free Ancestry account is all one needs to see their AncestryDNA matches. You do need a subscription to look at public trees and use some of the tools. You can contact your matches for free though as long as you do it through the DNA page and not through a member's profile page.
Old 11th September 2017, 12:40 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Recent immigrant ancestry affects the no. of matches you get. My mother has one grandparent with colonial American ancestry, one grandparent who immigrated from France, and two descended from people who immigrated from France and Germany between 1842 and 1886. She has 1182 matches.

My father was the son of Italian immigrants. He has only 128 matches.