Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 7th January 2018, 03:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Question How old is the ethnic autosoma shown in the test?

My father is half Iberian and we don't know why.

For being half Iberian I suppose there must be a close Iberian ancestor too. How many generation ago can this have happened? (the connection with an Iberian)

Thank you

Last edited by keyhook; 7th January 2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: wrong place for the former post
Old 7th January 2018, 04:12 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhook View Post

For being half Iberian I suppose there must be a close Iberian ancestor too. How many generation ago can this have happened? (the connection with an Iberian)

Thank you
What do you and your father know of his parents, and their ancestors?

50% Iberian could be all from one of his parents, or some mix from both of his parents to equal 50%. This means that one parent had all Iberian (Spanish, Portuguese) ancestors, or that both had some Iberian ancestors within the last few generations.

Overall, autosomal will usually go back between 4 to 6 generations, although occasionally further back. See a recent discussion about this topic.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in if Iberian can be mistaken for other population groups.

Last edited by KATM; 7th January 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 7th January 2018, 06:45 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

How much Iberian do you think he should have, based on your knowledge of his ancestry? Go through his matches and see if a lot of them have Spanish and Portuguese names in their surname lists.

Has he done a Y-DNA test?
Old 7th January 2018, 06:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

He should have 0% based on my knowlege of two hunder years of family tree. He is 42% and I am 19% (I'm his son).

He has just been tested for Y 111 and will have the response in one month.

Do you think Y dna can be useful to identify the reason we are Iberian?

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
How much Iberian do you think he should have, based on your knowledge of his ancestry? Go through his matches and see if a lot of them have Spanish and Portuguese names in their surname lists.

Has he done a Y-DNA test?
Old 7th January 2018, 09:40 PM

I don't have any faith in the ethnicity part of DNA testing at all. It's the list of matches that's important. I've tested myself and both parents and the amount of DNA I share with each of them proves they are my parents, but my mother got less than 2% Sephardic, my father got zero percent and I got 14%. Does that add up? I have Sephardic ancestors, but my parents don't?

If you are a male, or if you can test your father, or anyone in the direct male line, you might learn from the matches you get whether there has been an illegitimacy, adoption, or surname change in that line. But that's one line only. Of course, if your father's mother has a brother, you could test that male line too. I'd recommend getting at least 37 marker tests, 67 is better.

But all that is expensive, and unless you are really interested for some reason, I wouldn't worry about it. Do any of your relatives on your father's side look Iberian?

But first, I would start going through my matches, clicking on the surname lists and reading through them. If I saw a number of Iberian names in the list of relatively close matches, I'd probably start keeping a spreadsheet of the DNA segments these people shared with me and if it was clear that certain segments were Iberian, I'd start doing Family Finder tests on various cousins in order to find out where the Iberian came from (unless it was clear from the spreadsheet work).

But what you do depends on how important it is to you.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhook View Post

Thank you
When you upload his kit to Gedmatch and run Eurogenes K13 then click on Oracle-4 what is full printout. Be aware that the kit number is in the printout so delete the kit number before posting if you want to keep it private.
Old 8th January 2018, 03:24 PM
FTDNA Customer

Eurogenes K13 - Oracle

done!

This is the response. I don't know what Eurogenes K13 test exactly is but I see a lot of Iberic (Spain) again.

Image Attached :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
When you upload his kit to Gedmatch and run Eurogenes K13 then click on Oracle-4 what is full printout. Be aware that the kit number is in the printout so delete the kit number before posting if you want to keep it private.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eurogenes-k13-oracle4.JPG (118.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 8th January 2018, 04:02 PM

To me, it looks like your father really does have a lot of Iberian. If you had to guess, based on your own knowledge of your father's ancestry, what would you come up with?

For instance FTDNA says my mother is
British Isles 54%
West and Central Europe 17%
East Europe 13%
Southeast Europe 8%
Scandinavia 6%

But based on my own careful genealogical research, I would say she was about 20% British Isles, about 75% French and German, and the other 5% Netherlands and maybe Scandinavia.

Was Spain or Portugal ever in control of the area where your father's ancestors lived? Or was there an influx of Spanish immigration at some point?

Half of my father's ancestors came from Sicily and half from the town of Cappelle sul Tavo. I have never been able to trace his ancestors in Cappelle sul Tavo beyond his grandparents. But I read in an online article that in the 17th century there was a shortage of laborers in Cappelle sul Tavo and people were brought in from Jugoslavia. And, from the names and locations of some of my father's DNA matches, I can tell that he has Jugoslavian (probably Croatian) ancestry from intermarriages between the immigrant laborers and the natives.
Old 8th January 2018, 04:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

My father is Italian from Lombardy. Lombardy was under the Spanish domination in the XVI-XVIIcenturies and probably lot of locals were mixed with Spaniards at that time. But I still wonder how it can be, because also his FTDNA matches are Spaniards. I have my family tree done from 1810 and there are no spaniards in it, apparently. It is unbelievable but the only posible connection with surnames of the matche can have happened in the XVI century only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
To me, it looks like your father really does have a lot of Iberian. If you had to guess, based on your own knowledge of your father's ancestry, what would you come up with?

For instance FTDNA says my mother is
British Isles 54%
West and Central Europe 17%
East Europe 13%
Southeast Europe 8%
Scandinavia 6%

But based on my own careful genealogical research, I would say she was about 20% British Isles, about 75% French and German, and the other 5% Netherlands and maybe Scandinavia.

Was Spain or Portugal ever in control of the area where your father's ancestors lived? Or was there an influx of Spanish immigration at some point?

Half of my father's ancestors came from Sicily and half from the town of Cappelle sul Tavo. I have never been able to trace his ancestors in Cappelle sul Tavo beyond his grandparents. But I read in an online article that in the 17th century there was a shortage of laborers in Cappelle sul Tavo and people were brought in from Jugoslavia. And, from the names and locations of some of my father's DNA matches, I can tell that he has Jugoslavian (probably Croatian) ancestry from intermarriages between the immigrant laborers and the natives.
Old 25th January 2018, 09:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

I'm no expert, but it seems that companies have some difficulty with differentiating Iberians from North Italians. I have mostly North Italian ancestry with some Portuguese, but FTDNA says I'm 56% Iberian. My sister's results came recently and she is even more Iberian than I (65%).
Even my grandmother, who had 4 Italian grandparents is said to be 15% "Iberian" by FTDNA.