Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 26th December 2017, 01:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Value of Additional Family Testing...

I (male) have taken the Y37, MTDNA-Full and Family Finder tests.Is there any additional value to having my father or mother to take additional DNA tests? Or a male cousin on my mother's side?
Old 26th December 2017, 02:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgprokosch View Post
I (male) have taken the Y37, MTDNA-Full and Family Finder tests.Is there any additional value to having my father or mother to take additional DNA tests? Or a male cousin on my mother's side?
At the least your parents need to each take the Family Finder. If you having any living grandparents who are willing to test, by all means accomplish that as soon as you can. Each generation further back which you can test will extend you reach further back in finding matches. Also it will help you see which parental side that your matches are on.

Jack Wyatt
Old 31st December 2017, 11:02 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgprokosch View Post
For the mtDNA test, there is no need to test anyone else on the same maternal line because they will all have identical or nearly identical mtDNA results. It is better to use the funds to test more relatives with the Family Finder test, or test mtDNA for relatives with different maternal lines, e.g, paternal grandmother.