Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27th November 2017, 10:03 PM
wd.502311 wd.502311 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Native American/Central Asia/Oceania from one ancestor?

So, our results came back with FTDNA, and most of it made sense based on our known genealogy. Even the Native American ancestry did show in the results, supposedly. What I am wondering is how to interpret this. Since the 1600s all of our family came from the east coast of the United States. There are no known ancestors from East Asia, Southeast Asia, or Australia - its extremely unlikely in the past 500 years.

Did anyone else with known Native American ancestry receive Oceania in their results?

Is trace results of Native American North American, Central Asia, and Oceania a strong indicator of a distant Native ancestor, or are they referring to different ancestors?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th November 2017, 12:25 AM
RebeccaR RebeccaR is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 50
I got a trace of Oceana too on MyHeritage and GEDMatch from my Uncle's sample, but not on FTDNA unless it's the <2% SouthEast Asia. It's my understanding (I read "somewhere") that Oceana can tag along with AmerIndian, of which my Uncle was 33% (with 3% coming from SoAmerica.) I think it said something about the South America AmerIndian is the culprit, that the DNA resembles Oceana. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. I don't really know that much of DNA, I just read a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30th November 2017, 11:37 PM
wd.502311 wd.502311 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaR View Post
I got a trace of Oceana too on MyHeritage and GEDMatch from my Uncle's sample, but not on FTDNA unless it's the <2% SouthEast Asia. It's my understanding (I read "somewhere") that Oceana can tag along with AmerIndian, of which my Uncle was 33% (with 3% coming from SoAmerica.) I think it said something about the South America AmerIndian is the culprit, that the DNA resembles Oceana. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. I don't really know that much of DNA, I just read a lot.
Thank you.
Mine reads Less Than One Percent for all three (Native American North America, Central Asia, and Oceania). The ancestors in question are all 6-7 generations back, or further. Working on documentation and verifying, supposed to be Cherokee or Shawnee. If you also received some Southeast Asian on here, our results sound legitimate. On Gedmatch, we also get Southeast Asia, Oceania, and Siberia, mixed in with the Amerindian result. Its not Conclusive for absolute proof of Native ancestry, but its an indication.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5th December 2017, 08:28 PM
RebeccaR RebeccaR is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 50
My Uncle has two Mexican born parents, so his AmerIndian will be higher than those with USA AmerIndian, who became nearly extinct from the influx of all the Europeans.

I think all the companies differ, and I suppose they'll change again later as they improve their research on the populations. It's been a disappointment that they couldn't get more specific on AmerIndian, the desire for people to know is surely there.

The 30/3% that I quoted was from FTDNA. I think they did a good job with it because they highlighted exactly where my Grandmother's known family lived for hundreds of years. I think they missed somewhat my Grandfather's location where his family lived for hundreds of years though. They didn't highlight Jalisco, MX they highlighted Maya on the Yucatan instead.

Ancestry said 34% and didn't get specific, it was a 2-3 year old test so maybe they get more specific now I don't know.

MyHeritage hyperinflated it and gave him a whopping 48.1/1.4 (I think they took some from Europe and gave it back to the Natives.) So if you're looking for AmerIndian, try uploading the rawDNA over to them. They were good at listing it, but then again, they missed some others that were smaller percentages, so they might still overlook it.

For GEDMatch, I liked the MDLP World-22 calculator because I thought it was the most detailed on AmerIndians. Here's a spreadsheet of all their calculators and what populations they define. For him there, they gave him (north/meso/south) 10.96/17.57/4.9 which the total of them was consistent with Ancestry and FTDNA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...82Hcf/pubhtml#

Last edited by RebeccaR; 5th December 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 7th December 2017, 09:41 PM
wd.502311 wd.502311 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaR View Post
My Uncle has two Mexican born parents, so his AmerIndian will be higher than those with USA AmerIndian, who became nearly extinct from the influx of all the Europeans.

I think all the companies differ, and I suppose they'll change again later as they improve their research on the populations. It's been a disappointment that they couldn't get more specific on AmerIndian, the desire for people to know is surely there.

The 30/3% that I quoted was from FTDNA. I think they did a good job with it because they highlighted exactly where my Grandmother's known family lived for hundreds of years. I think they missed somewhat my Grandfather's location where his family lived for hundreds of years though. They didn't highlight Jalisco, MX they highlighted Maya on the Yucatan instead.

Ancestry said 34% and didn't get specific, it was a 2-3 year old test so maybe they get more specific now I don't know.

MyHeritage hyperinflated it and gave him a whopping 48.1/1.4 (I think they took some from Europe and gave it back to the Natives.) So if you're looking for AmerIndian, try uploading the rawDNA over to them. They were good at listing it, but then again, they missed some others that were smaller percentages, so they might still overlook it.

For GEDMatch, I liked the MDLP World-22 calculator because I thought it was the most detailed on AmerIndians. Here's a spreadsheet of all their calculators and what populations they define. For him there, they gave him (north/meso/south) 10.96/17.57/4.9 which the total of them was consistent with Ancestry and FTDNA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...82Hcf/pubhtml#
Well....I have heard that Myheritage is also not quite accurate, even with Amerindian estimates. So it sounds like you agree on that . . even if inflating the Native percent might be the "right thing" to do hahaha . . .. .

I would say Gedmatch generally agrees with the percents for Amerindian and East/Central Asia. It also shows the trace amount of African, but I think Gedmatch is more accurate on the European percents. Family Tree DNA seems a bit too general about those. Maybe it is just more "deep ancestry", what those populations were in the past few thousand years. That is fascinating, but does not look accurate as far as the past 500 years.

I don't get much Amerindian on MDLP-22 World calculator. Just a bit - maybe it is the reference population or algorhythm? It does show up on MDLP K23b, Eurogenes 36, and the rest of them.

Maybe some other folks who got unexpected Oceania and Southeast Asia percents can chime in here. I appreciate your thoughts, Rebecca. And your absolutely correct about "North Amerindian" as opposed to Central or South. There arent hardly any reference populations for North Amerindian, as far as I know. Glad you got to see your grandmothers information in there - it is real tricky for many of us to do that, if not impossible. Keep looking!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th December 2017, 11:27 PM
Marianne Marianne is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 18
My father has a Penobscot ancestress, like 9 generations ago, and he has traces of Oceania in myOrigins.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4th January 2018, 04:34 PM
wd.502311 wd.502311 is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
My father has a Penobscot ancestress, like 9 generations ago, and he has traces of Oceania in myOrigins.

Oh! Very interesting.
Maybe this info can help others out there make educated guesses. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
African American or Native American jdpet22 Family Finder Advanced Topics 10 12th May 2015 07:40 PM
Recent developments in the genetic history of East Asia and Oceania PNGarrison Scientific Papers 0 14th November 2014 12:42 PM
Recent developments in the genetic history of East Asia and Oceania PNGarrison Scientific Papers 0 12th November 2014 04:03 AM
Native American and African American BlackWolf DNA and Genealogy for Beginners 2 6th September 2014 10:51 AM
Central Asia? Miko myOrigins Basics 0 15th August 2014 04:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.