Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 6th November 2017, 09:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Jewish ancestry

If somebody takes the mtdna full sequence test, and discovers that they match with some jewish people, like ashkenazim and sephardim, does that mean that they have a jewish maternal ancestor?
Old 7th November 2017, 06:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

very good question, I also have significant numbers of matches; my haplogroup is H6a1a1, thanks!
Old 7th November 2017, 06:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violen453 View Post
If somebody takes the mtdna full sequence test, and discovers that they match with some jewish people, like ashkenazim and sephardim, does that mean that they have a jewish maternal ancestor?
What%
Old 7th November 2017, 08:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violen453 View Post
Not necessarily. Are any of them exact matches in the full coding region screen?
Old 7th November 2017, 09:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillS View Post
very good question, I also have significant numbers of matches; my haplogroup is H6a1a1, thanks!
But Kirill, according to your comment in the H and HV mtDNA haplogroup project, your Ashkenazi Jewish matches only appear in your very distant HVR1 screen and not in the closer HVR2 and FMS screens. That is not consistent with Jewish ancestry. Also know that some Ashkenazi mtDNA lineages including many of those starting with H stemmed from a non-Jew who converted to Judaism, rather than the other way around.
Old 8th November 2017, 05:59 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hi Khazaria, thank you.

I have 6 matches in HVR2, 3 of them are of the same ancestor, I have contacted one of those, and Jewish ancestry has been confirmed (one of the parent with both parents of whom are being Jewish)
Old 8th November 2017, 06:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillS View Post
Hi Khazaria, thank you.

I have 6 matches in HVR2, 3 of them are of the same ancestor, I have contacted one of those, and Jewish ancestry has been confirmed (one of the parent with both parents of whom are being Jewish)
nt

I meant what % of Full Sequence testing. Without any such matches I would be hesitant to draw conclusions
Old 15th November 2017, 01:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hi. Thank you all for the responses. The truth is that I meant hypothetically, if someone found jewish ancestry. Would the full sequence test tell you how much you math withva particular jewish person?
Old 15th November 2017, 06:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

when did a religion thought have effect with human dna.
Old 15th November 2017, 10:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
when did a religion thought have effect with human dna.
People forget that as the result of conversions going both ways:
  • a Jewish person can share DNA with a non-Jewish person, while having no non-Jewish ancestors
  • a non-Jewish person can share DNA with a Jewish person, while having no Jewish ancestors

Mr. W