Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 8th August 2017, 04:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Understanding match results

Hello
I have been looking online to try and increase my understanding the significance of matches such as those found for me at ftdna but am not quite getting it. When I look at my matches it lists people as 2nd-4th cousins and the cM numbers. I don't know what would be a high cM number? Do these matches mean that I am related to them in a traceable way? Thank you.
Old 8th August 2017, 04:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Individual shared segments that measure above 30 cM are the best of all for potential traceability
Old 8th August 2017, 04:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

FYI, since other sites do it differently, on FTDNA, if it says relationship range is 2nd-4th, then their suggested relationship is 3rd.
Whether you are related to them in a traceable way depends on a lot of factors.
How far back does your paper tree go - eg maybe a few of your great-grandparents, no one higher vs all ancestors thru all 3rd great-grandparents and some beyond -- and how far the other person's paper trail goes -- and also, are you a member of an endogamous group (eg Ashkenazi Jewish or American colonial) or not?
Old 9th August 2017, 05:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank for the responses. One of my matches of 100 cM has a tree listed. When I looked at it I noticed one of his remote grandparents has the same surname as one of my remote grandparents. In looking through ancestry.ca records it seems these 2 may have been siblings. I thought that was kind of cool.