Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 9th January 2018, 12:40 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriloct18 View Post
Anyone know of a fix for 23andme v5 not uploading? I have tried both the fixes for AncestryDNA, but they don't work. I have uploaded 2 other kits just fine. Just frustrating that they won't allow the newer versions (most likely FTDNA so they can get more money)
There isn't really a way to fix it since its just simply missing the data needed to do a good comparison and find matches on FTDNA, which is why they haven't made it compatible and they may not ever add it unfortunately. Even if they did, it would be so incomplete that you would have tons of matches missing.

The fix I made is only a small percentage different from the previous Ancestry.com results, so its not missing enough data to matter.
Old 9th January 2018, 10:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonisa View Post
There isn't really a way to fix it since its just simply missing the data needed to do a good comparison and find matches on FTDNA, which is why they haven't made it compatible and they may not ever add it unfortunately. Even if they did, it would be so incomplete that you would have tons of matches missing.

The fix I made is only a small percentage different from the previous Ancestry.com results, so its not missing enough data to matter.
Well this stinks, was hoping for a little better answer but oh well, maybe they will fix it in time. Why offer something and not support it anymore. I'll just move over to Myheritage and GedMatch. May have less hits, but the benefit is I can manage all my files on one login.
Old 10th January 2018, 12:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Well this stinks, was hoping for a little better answer but oh well, maybe they will fix it in time. Why offer something and not support it anymore. I'll just move over to Myheritage and GedMatch. May have less hits, but the benefit is I can manage all my files on one login.
You won't be able to upload your V5 file to MyHeritage, and currently it can only be uploaded to Gedmatch Genesis, but not the main Gedmatch site.

It is 23andMe that has decided to make a considerable change to the chip they use and therefore the file you can download from them. FamilyTreeDNA hasn't changed anything.

On this page:
https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

it currently says
"Please note that you can only transfer the following versions from 23andMeŠ and AncestryDNA™:

23andMeŠ V3
23andMeŠ V4
AncestryDNA™ V1
AncestryDNA™ V2"

Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 10th January 2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10th January 2018, 05:49 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Yes, this stinks. You are blaming FTDNA for something that 23andMe did. Why don't you blame 23andMe?
Old 10th January 2018, 12:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Not sure if you realize, but the 23andmeV5 chip only contains around 160,000 SNPs that can be used by FTDNA.
FTDNA tests around 700,000 SNPs
You can not get a very accurate comparison between two people when only comparing 160,000 SNPs.

23andmeV4 contained approx 312,000 SNPs that can be used by FTDNA. One only could receive partial match lists at FTDNA, No distant matches

23andmeV3 contained approx 690,000 SNPs that can be used by FTDNA. This version received full match lists at FTDNA

As you see, 23andme, with each newer version, started testing different SNPs. FTDNA can not compare their SNPs to 23andme if the SNPs are not the same (SNP name and position) .

Last edited by prairielad; 10th January 2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10th January 2018, 02:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am still getting an error message after using the tool. Now it just says, the file can not be uploaded. Please try again.
Old 10th January 2018, 02:44 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npatt256 View Post
I am still getting an error message after using the tool. Now it just says, the file can not be uploaded. Please try again.
Are u uploading with it zipped or unzipped
Old 10th January 2018, 03:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc_44 View Post
Are u uploading with it zipped or unzipped

Zipped just like a downloaded it. 🤷🏻*♀️
Old 10th January 2018, 03:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npatt256 View Post
Are you using your Ancestry DNA Raw Data file (tested with Ancestry)?
Old 10th January 2018, 04:23 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
Are you using your Ancestry DNA Raw Data file (tested with Ancestry)?
Yes, I was receiving the other error, did a google search, and found this thread. Now the error is the file can not be uploaded.