Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Features Requests & Bug Reports Area

Features Requests & Bug Reports Area This forum is for customers to talk about features they would like to see. It may also be used to report potential website issues and account bugs, though you may get faster service by sending those through the Open a Request feature found in the Customer Service link at the top of the forum page.

Old 27th December 2017, 07:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

The tool at http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php worked for my kit. Thanks very much.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner51 View Post
The tool at http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php worked for my kit. Thanks very much.
Wow, I can't believe they still haven't fixed this! But I am glad the tool is helping those in need! Merry Christmas!
Old 30th December 2017, 07:04 AM
R-BY39877

Yes, you would think that Ancestry would have their messed up file fixed by now. FTDNA has much more important things to do than change their programs to support Ancestry's ever changing format.

Anyone trying to transfer Ancestry's new format would get many more matches if they bought a test from FTDNA, based on what I have seen from the recent transfers into my projects.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Yes, you would think that Ancestry would have their messed up file fixed by now. FTDNA has much more important things to do than change their programs to support Ancestry's ever changing format.

Anyone trying to transfer Ancestry's new format would get many more matches if they bought a test from FTDNA, based on what I have seen from the recent transfers into my projects.
Ancestry doesn't care about fixing anything.

If they cared about DNA testers they would have a chromosome browser.

I tested first at FTDNA then at Ancestry.

At GEDmatch FTDNA kit says:

Number of SNPs utilized by GEDmatch template = 708934

Kit Tnnnnnn has approximately 66140 total matches with other kits.
Of these matches there are 13435 >= 7cM and 52705 < 7cM.

At GEDmatch Ancestry kit says:

Number of SNPs utilized by GEDmatch template = 460449

Kit Annnnnn has approximately 36269 total matches with other kits.
Of these matches there are 7995 >= 7cM and 28274 < 7cM.

Big difference with number of SNPs used and number of matches >= 7cM.

The main plus for Ancestry is the size of their tested database.

My top DNA match at FTDNA is my number 17 match at Ancestry.

Bad news is that not one of my top 16 at Ancestry is at GEDmatch.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:05 AM
R-BY39877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbirk View Post
The main plus for Ancestry is the size of their tested database.
The main minus for Ancestry is the fact you must pay a subscription fee to see all of the information about your matches. You can buy several Family Finder kits for the cost of their annual subscription. And you have to use their contact system to try to reach your matches because Ancestry doesn't provide their email addresses.

Last edited by Jim Barrett; 2nd January 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 7th January 2018, 12:31 PM
FTDNA Customer

Unable to transfer Ancestry raw data to FTDNA

I've used the http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php tool several times for others but it's not working for one kit.
I've downloaded new raw data several times since the results came in December 22.
Old 7th January 2018, 03:45 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hayley View Post
I've used the http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php tool several times for others but it's not working for one kit.
I've downloaded new raw data several times since the results came in December 22.
Did you contact Chris Bona, by private message on these forums, as he linked to on that page?
Old 8th January 2018, 10:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Anyone know of a fix for 23andme v5 not uploading? I have tried both the fixes for AncestryDNA, but they don't work. I have uploaded 2 other kits just fine. Just frustrating that they won't allow the newer versions (most likely FTDNA so they can get more money)
Old 9th January 2018, 12:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriloct18 View Post
Anyone know of a fix for 23andme v5 not uploading? I have tried both the fixes for AncestryDNA, but they don't work. I have uploaded 2 other kits just fine. Just frustrating that they won't allow the newer versions (most likely FTDNA so they can get more money)
23andMe V5 is SO DIFFERENT from all previous versions that the only place you can upload it to is Gedmatch Genesis. The original version of Gedmatch won't accept it.

Your suggestion that FTDNA not accepting it because they want more money is untrue, unfair and frankly rather paranoid.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hayley View Post
Hi Ann, I responded to your PM...