Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:01 PM
winner winner is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 177
Noise

Hi guys!

I would like know if "noise" might be real ancestry. Because, I've got 8% of "noise" for 5 different populations together.

Thanks in advance.

Natan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:29 PM
NCroots NCroots is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
I would like know if "noise" might be real ancestry. Because, I've got 8% of "noise" for 5 different populations together.
It could be. I show .1% Subsaharan African (broken down as <.1% West African, <.1% East African, and <.1% Broadly Subsaharan African) with 23andMe. Two places on two different chromosomes are identified as Subsaharan African; when I do the chromosome painting on GEDmatch, those segments on those two chromosomes consistently show up as African. I've also been able to triangulate these little bits of African with both African Americans and European Americans who trace back to the same families I am descended from.

Using genealogical research I've found that I'm descended from a mixed-race family in Tidewater Virginia in the 17th century. In North Carolina, some of my ancestors from this family were listed as "mulatto" in various records. Extensive DNA testing from my male cousins in this line (direct male-lineage carrying the surname from multiple lines of descent) show they all carry the y-haplogroup E-P277, which is Subsaharan African in origin. Research from the 1,000 Genome Project and FTNA Big Y tests have identified genetic connections to The Gambia in West Africa.

So, I would caution not to automatically dismiss small percentages as "noise". I would do research to try to prove or disprove the validity of that small percentage. If possible, y-DNA research is incredibly useful in this regard.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 3rd May 2017, 08:22 AM
winner winner is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCroots View Post
It could be. I show .1% Subsaharan African (broken down as <.1% West African, <.1% East African, and <.1% Broadly Subsaharan African) with 23andMe. Two places on two different chromosomes are identified as Subsaharan African; when I do the chromosome painting on GEDmatch, those segments on those two chromosomes consistently show up as African. I've also been able to triangulate these little bits of African with both African Americans and European Americans who trace back to the same families I am descended from.

Using genealogical research I've found that I'm descended from a mixed-race family in Tidewater Virginia in the 17th century. In North Carolina, some of my ancestors from this family were listed as "mulatto" in various records. Extensive DNA testing from my male cousins in this line (direct male-lineage carrying the surname from multiple lines of descent) show they all carry the y-haplogroup E-P277, which is Subsaharan African in origin. Research from the 1,000 Genome Project and FTNA Big Y tests have identified genetic connections to The Gambia in West Africa.

So, I would caution not to automatically dismiss small percentages as "noise". I would do research to try to prove or disprove the validity of that small percentage. If possible, y-DNA research is incredibly useful in this regard.
Thanks, NCroots!

How do I get painting my chromossomes, on Gedmatch?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 3rd May 2017, 01:02 PM
NCroots NCroots is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
How do I get painting my chromossomes, on Gedmatch?
On the main GEDmatch page, under Analyze Your Data, click on Admixture (heritage). Select a project to use (Eurogenes is my favorite). Beneath that you are asked to select how you want to process your results. There is an option for chromosome painting, chromosome painting--reduced, and chromosome paint differences between two kits.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:57 PM
georgian1950 georgian1950 is online now
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 658
I have serious doubts that the chromosome painting is at all accurate. Getting even a reference population close is extremely difficult. People are reading way too much into the chromosome painting.

Jack
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 3rd May 2017, 07:55 PM
NCroots NCroots is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
I have serious doubts that the chromosome painting is at all accurate. Getting even a reference population close is extremely difficult. People are reading way too much into the chromosome painting.

Jack
Personally, I have found the chromosome painting to be very accurate and congruent. Nevertheless, that is why I also rely on my cousins y-DNA tests and old-fashioned genealogical research to prove our West African ancestor.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th February 2018, 07:36 AM
Informed Informed is offline
FTDNA Customer
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCroots View Post
Personally, I have found the chromosome painting to be very accurate and congruent. Nevertheless, that is why I also rely on my cousins y-DNA tests and old-fashioned genealogical research to prove our West African ancestor.
Smart.
According to two experts, who are scientists, the chromosome painting is highly accurate.
They also did CP for me. So big thumbs up for gedmatch.
I have used it to confirm triangulated relationships further.
DNA doesn't lie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grandmother's results - is 2% just noise? andreastill.gen myOrigins Basics 2 15th September 2014 12:33 PM
Noise on FF? felix Family Finder Advanced Topics 259 23rd October 2013 04:17 PM
No noise, no smoke, no fire charleslow Family Finder Advanced Topics 9 25th February 2013 08:58 AM
X noise? mihun Family Finder Advanced Topics 5 2nd April 2012 05:42 PM
X-Chromosome Noise Pics shandy4473 Family Finder Advanced Topics 2 11th February 2012 10:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Family Tree DNA - World Headquarters

1445 North Loop West, Suite 820
Houston, Texas 77008, USA

Phone: (713) 868-1438 | Fax: (832) 201-7147
Copyright 2001-2010 Genealogy by Genetics, Ltd.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.