Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 5th January 2017, 11:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

Italian - Iberian

Hi. I apologize if this post is in the wrong section.

I'm just wondering . . .

How common is it for Italians to have Iberian DNA?

Thanks in advance.

Old 5th January 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post

I'm just wondering . . .

Thanks in advance.

Northern Italians or Southern Italians?
Old 5th January 2017, 01:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

I'm just wondering . . .

Thanks in advance.

I depends there are also regional differences in the Iberian peninsula when you look at deep ancestry the Portuguese share a lot of DNA with northern Italians more so than with the Spaniards of north east Spain or the southern French this appears to be very ancient I'm guessing due to a migration from the Alps to north west Iberian peninsula. Whereas the shared DNA in southern Italians and Spaniards appears to be more recent. The percentages vary depending on the test.
Old 5th January 2017, 02:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchik View Post
Northern Italians or Southern Italians?
Southern - Campania. Yet, my mother and I have no Middle Eastern or Asia Minor DNA so we may not be your typical Southern Italians.

We both have Iberian though. Not a large percentage.

Old 5th January 2017, 02:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFH View Post
I depends there are also regional differences in the Iberian peninsula when you look at deep ancestry the Portuguese share a lot of DNA with northern Italians more so than with the Spaniards of north east Spain or the southern French this appears to be very ancient I'm guessing due to a migration from the Alps to north west Iberian peninsula. Whereas the shared DNA in southern Italians and Spaniards appears to be more recent. The percentages vary depending on the test.
Thank you. One of my great grandfathers is a mystery. We assumed he was Italian because my great grandmother was. But now that Iberian has come up in our results, I thought maybe he could have been Spanish. That's why I wondered if it was ancient, recent, or VERY recent.

Old 10th January 2017, 05:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Ancient Iberian DNA is common due to Roman expansion from Italy to Spain. If you have a big chunk (25%), it could be more recent. Less than 10%, probably Romans.
Old 10th January 2017, 07:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Ancient Iberian DNA is common due to Roman expansion from Italy to Spain. If you have a big chunk (25%), it could be more recent. Less than 10%, probably Romans.
Ancient Roman DNA in Iberians? I don't think that's what is contributing to most of the ancient Italian DNA in Iberians. I would expect to see a whole lot more Asia minor in Iberians if that were the case. The ancient Italian DNA in the Portuguese specifically is Northern Italian and the places where I see small amounts of Asia minor is where the Roman settlement was concentrated and it is small amounts.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:25 AM
Giosué

Quote:
Southern - Campania. Yet, my mother and I have no Middle Eastern or Asia Minor DNA so we may not be your typical Southern Italians.

We both have Iberian though. Not a large percentage.

The best way to see if you have any significant Iberian ancestry is to test with all 3 companies (FTDNA, 23andme and AncestryDNA) and look for IBD matches that have Iberian ancestry. If you want to try another method which can give you some clues, you can study your GEDmatch results and/or test one parent at 23andme, so your ancestry composition results will be more accurate than before.

I believe 23andme offers the best ancestry estimate to date (i.e. for estimating recent ancestry). AncestryDNA also has some very interesting new features, that can show you the regions where you're connected to through your matches.

Here an overview of what I get with these 3 companies:

On AncestryDNA I get: 28% Europe South (region: Southern Italy), 11% Caucasus (region: Southern Italy), 2% Middle Eastern (region: Southern Italy), 5% European Jewish (part of low confidence regions and related to my S_Italian ancestry) 10% Iberian Peninsula (must be ancient, or miscalculation due to my mixed north/south background), 18 % Europe West (region: Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium & Luxembourg), 25% Great Britain (must be my Dutch side), 1% Scandinavia (region: Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium & Luxembourg).

23andme (1 parent tested):

Northwestern European: 51.7%
Southern European: 42.5%
from which 41.5% Italian, 1% broadly Southern European
Middle Eastern: 5.7%

FTDNA:

British Isles: 49%
Southeast Europe: 38%
East Europe: 8%
Jewish diaspora: 3%
Asia Minor: 2%

MyHeritage has issues splitting up my 2 ancestries:
57% Italian
38% Northern and Western Europe
2.9% Ashkenazi
1.1% West Asian
1% Middle East

Last edited by Dimanto; 2nd January 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

Over at AncestryDNA, their data says 25% of people native to "Europe South" (formerly Italy/Greece) get results in Iberian Peninsula. So I'd say it's fairly common for people with Italian ancestry to get results in Iberia. Especially if it's a small amount, I really wouldn't think much of it.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:54 AM
Giosué

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
Over at AncestryDNA, their data says 25% of people native to "Europe South" (formerly Italy/Greece) get results in Iberian Peninsula. So I'd say it's fairly common for people with Italian ancestry to get results in Iberia. Especially if it's a small amount, I really wouldn't think much of it.
AncestryDNA always had issues effectively splitting up Italians from Iberians, especially for people of northern Italian ancestry. In my case part of the Iberian percentage must be from my Dutch side; if not the percentages are way off, given the fact that I get a combination of Caucasus, Europe South, Middle Eastern and European Jewish which together makes 46%. Adding the 10% Iberian would be too much, given the fact that my Dutch side is very northern shifting towards Denmark and shows no signs of southern European ancestry (I've done extensive genealogical research and tested several family members).

Last edited by Dimanto; 2nd January 2018 at 11:59 AM.