Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 11th January 2015, 12:44 AM
FTDNA Customer

Lack of matches in mtDna

Hi

I find it very curious that since my wife did a full mtdna test with Ftdna in April 2014, her 2 dozen matches have never increased, not even by one. no Hv1 or Hv2 or CR.

Her FF increases now and then, ( 3 pages )it must mean its working.

Why lack of matches for 8 months. She is K1a4
Old 11th January 2015, 02:38 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartot View Post
Hi

I find it very curious that since my wife did a full mtdna test with Ftdna in April 2014, her 2 dozen matches have never increased, not even by one. no Hv1 or Hv2 or CR.

It means that on average only around 2 people from the mtDNA haplogroup K that have haplotype similar to hers tested with FTDNA in a year.

K1a4 is not associated with the populations that most testers here have. I do not have any statistics, but it appears that the haplogroup H is the most popular, and then probably haplogroups of Ashkenazim.

By just looking around (I did not go into every single mtDNA project!) I could see K1a4 in Cumberland Gap, Germany-mt-DNA and Kurdish DNA Project... Possibly populations where K1a4 is popular do not have many testers.

W.
Old 16th January 2015, 10:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have a project member who had 0 matches for more than 8 months. Be content with what you have.
Old 17th January 2015, 03:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

I started with 11 matches in April 2014, all at genetic distance 3 or higher.

In the past nearly ten months I have gained one single new match and it was an HVR1 match only.

There are a lot of categories for people to fall into and not many taking the test. As the database grows, it will undoubtedly become more exciting.
Old 17th January 2015, 04:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartot View Post
Hi

There are many more people testing for FF or importing from other companies than there are people testing for mtDNA. Probably because it's cheaper and it covers one's full ancestry, not just one line.
Old 17th January 2015, 07:07 PM
mtDNA: U5a2c3a | Y-DNA: I-Z63

There are many nay sayers who don't understand the benefit that may be gained by testing FullSequence mtDNA and joining the mt projects, so much so they actively discourage folk from bothering with mtDNA testing at all.

Both mt & Y dna could be so much more useful if the majority did the full tests for both, at the moment it's only the minority testing all the way.
Old 17th January 2015, 08:03 PM
Y-DNA: R-FGC41890 mtDNA: H49a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahcom View Post
There are many nay sayers who don't understand the benefit that may be gained by testing FullSequence mtDNA and joining the mt projects, so much so they actively discourage folk from bothering with mtDNA testing at all.

Both mt & Y dna could be so much more useful if the majority did the full tests for both, at the moment it's only the minority testing all the way.
I agree with you on this. I think it's neat for mtDNA that you can get your full mitochondrial genome and have it done for good for whatever purposes down the road. I've had all of my available direct maternal lines FMS-tested.
Old 18th January 2015, 01:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahcom View Post

Well, if it was less expensive more people would take the y and mt tests. I realize they're probably expensive for a reason and I'm not discouraging people from taking them - I'm awaiting mt results myself - but I can't blame people for not wanting to drop $200-360 on something that, for many, is just a hobby.
Old 18th January 2015, 01:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
Well, if it was less expensive more people would take the y and mt tests. I realize they're probably expensive for a reason and I'm not discouraging people from taking them - I'm awaiting mt results myself - but I can't blame people for not wanting to drop $200-360 on something that, for many, is just a hobby.
I think people are spending real money™, because it is a hobby

W.
Old 18th January 2015, 11:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNA Haplogroup H6a1b3a

I think I really lucked out; I have 23 matches of 0 genetic distance to my mtDNA.

I also have many autosomal matches. Overwhelming majority from VA, almost nothing from MD (My mother's makeup is 25% line from VA, but fully 75% back through MD). I was very lucky in that a large number of Virginians seem to have gotten into genetic genealogy, including many in the tidewater area. So I'm digging deep into that 25 % VA origins that Mother carries.

I have been fortunate to find a mtDNA match whose most distant mtDNA ancestress was born in the same place as my ancestress, Essex, Virginia, about 90 years apart. I hadn't expected to find such a solid lead to explore so quickly.