Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Advanced Topics

Family Finder Advanced Topics Advanced discussion about Family Tree DNA's Family Finder Product.

Old 7th December 2016, 04:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

1. FTDNA Family Finder - 2. Geno 2.0 Next Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
Hmm that's interesting. I thought everyone who transferred Geno over here got the exact same results on both tests, but his came out so different. Not sure I've seen that happen before for anyone. Not sure what to make of it. Maybe if you do the Geno transfer they don't bother to run their own MyOrigins but just copy over the Geno %? So only if you have tested with FamilyFInder first do you get the actual MyOrigins test?
I tested with FTDNA Family Finder in 2014 and with Geno 2.0 Next Generation in 2016. The percentages about Southern Europe are almost the same, but the percentages concerning other regions are quite different. The results from Geno 2.0 Next Generation seem more accurate since I have not any known British origin.
Old 28th December 2016, 09:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

My results

100% European

41% British Isles
26% Scandinavia
25% Southern Europe
8% Eastern Europe

Now what? My dad said his dad said we had Native American in us. I wish I knew more but does not look like it in this dna result.

My ancient origins are
45% Hunter - Gatherer
45% Farmer
11% Metal Age Invader
Old 29th December 2016, 07:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbin View Post
I tested with FTDNA Family Finder in 2014 and with Geno 2.0 Next Generation in 2016. The percentages about Southern Europe are almost the same, but the percentages concerning other regions are quite different. The results from Geno 2.0 Next Generation seem more accurate since I have not any known British origin.
That's interesting. Have you gone back and looked at the FF results again recently? Maybe those were old results, pre-MyOrigins?
Old 26th January 2017, 05:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

English Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post
I'm American (family here since 1800's at least) and according to family, we were mainly English, Irish, with possibly some French. I'm not sure where the ME, Jewish, or African is coming from
The Roman Empire had an extended stay in England, sending soldiers from all over the Empire to man the forts. Sometimes the soldiers married local girls. Take a look to see if there was a Roman fort near where your English ancestors lived.
Old 28th January 2017, 01:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteM View Post
The Roman Empire had an extended stay in England, sending soldiers from all over the Empire to man the forts. Sometimes the soldiers married local girls. Take a look to see if there was a Roman fort near where your English ancestors lived.
Do you think that could account for such a high percentage though? All the ME, Jewish and African added up is over 50%, which seems pretty high for such a distant connection. I don't really know how everything works however, I could be way off base.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:03 AM
FTDNA Customer

Here are my results:

100% European.

Western and Central European 52%
British Isles 39%
Scandinavia 5%
Finland and Northern Siberia 4%

Ancient Origins.

Metal Age Invader 12%
Farmer 43%
Hunter Gatherer 45%
Non European 0%

Cheers, Ade.
Old 30th January 2017, 05:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
All the ME, Jewish and African added up is over 50%, which seems pretty high for such a distant connection.
The way I understand it, the Family Finder results are (1) an estimate and (2) compile the results from both of your parents. But you're right, that does seem like an awfully high percentage for a Roman-times connection. Color me "stumped."
Old 31st January 2017, 08:16 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hello, Marcela

Which country are you come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcela Meza View Post
I am from South America and my results are:

Southern Europe: 51%
Finland & Northern Siberia: 1%
New World Native American: 30%
North East Asia: 10%
Central Asia: 8%.

Perhaps MO makes some confusion between Native American and Sami people. Also it is a little strange the result of Central Asia (Afghanistan), although 'My Ancestral History' explains that the Central Asian cluster has appeared in the Pacific and the New World.
Old 31st January 2017, 08:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Certanlly, north african contribuition come from your french side. I mean, considering your results and you mentioned about your ancestries, your french ancestry should come from southern france.

Quote:
Here is the kit I manage:

MyOrigins

European: 47%

-British Isles: 27
-Southern Europe: 18
-Western and Central Europe: 2

Middle Eastern: 45%

-Asia Minor: 21
-Eastern Middle East: 16
-North Africa: 8

Jewish Diaspora: 6%

-Ashkenazi Diasporum: 6

African: 2%

-East Central Africa: 2

I'm American (family here since 1800's at least) and according to family, we were mainly English, Irish, with possibly some French. I'm not sure where the ME, Jewish, or African is coming from
Old 6th February 2017, 12:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

My results are:

61% Western and Central Europe
36% Scandinavia
2% East Central African
1% West Africa

Most of the Scandinavian results are probably the result of viking migration a thousand years ago, but I do have a few dozen speculative matches with Scandinavian people.