Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 9th June 2014, 09:37 PM
FTDNA Customer

Why are my post being "moderated" AKA Censored?

I often spend a lot of time researching what I post. Two of my recent post have been blocked for "moderation". If I am going to have my work censored without explanation, and no means of retrieval, I will stop posting here.

Can someone please explain why some of my posts are automatically blocked. I am not using profanity, and I have not said anything that could be construed as racist, hateful nor threatening.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

One of my posts recently was moderated, but just one.

I can only suspect that moderation is enabled on a per-thread basis--i.e., if the moderator sees that a particular thread is becoming emotionally heated, off-topic, etc.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
One of my posts recently was moderated, but just one.

I can only suspect that moderation is enabled on a per-thread basis--i.e., if the moderator sees that a particular thread is becoming emotionally heated, off-topic, etc.
It may likely have to do with key words. For example if I use the word "Iryan" with it's typically English spelling.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetware View Post
It may likely have to do with key words. For example if I use the word "Iryan" with it's typically English spelling.
Lets see if Aryan is censored.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Lets see if Aryan is censored.
I guess not.
Old 10th June 2014, 09:17 AM
FTDNA Customer

Talking

Life Lesson 101: "He who has the gold, rules."
Old 10th June 2014, 09:56 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
I often spend a lot of time researching what I post. Two of my recent post have been blocked for "moderation". If I am going to have my work censored without explanation, and no means of retrieval, I will stop posting here.

Can someone please explain why some of my posts are automatically blocked. I am not using profanity, and I have not said anything that could be construed as racist, hateful nor threatening.
Are you perhaps including links to other websites that might be construed as spam? Some forums have strict rules about not posting links to websites which are selling anything, links to other forums, or websites which might be in competition with their own.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:23 AM
FTDNA Customer

You may be experiencing a hang over from the time that the previous administrator had a meltdown and put the whole site on moderation. I gather that was done on a topic by topic basis right across the board, and until each of those are manually "unmoderated" you can still get the occasional instance of automatic moderation.

AFAIK there is no replacement administrator as yet.
Old 10th June 2014, 03:34 PM
Webinar Coordinator

Hi all,

I think there's some kind of keyword moderation in place. I asked about it a while back, but didn't get a definitive answer, so I'll ask again.

A few staff members have access to approve moderated posts. I've been traveling for the last 10 days, so I haven't been monitoring the forum as often as I usually do, but I'll check to see if there are any posts still waiting on moderator approval.

Elise
Old 10th June 2014, 05:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgen View Post
Hi all,

I think there's some kind of keyword moderation in place. I asked about it a while back, but didn't get a definitive answer, so I'll ask again. ... ....
Elise
Don't ask in the form of a Forum question ...