Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 30th April 2014, 08:00 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanica View Post
Do you have to have taken a yDNA or mtDNA test to join the Sicily Project? I have only taken Ancestry.com's autosomal test.
Yes, the Sicily Project includes anyone with one or more Sicilian ancestors, but the members must have tested at FTDNA. You can upload your Ancestry.com autosomal results into FTDNA's database for $69 - see https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx. Scroll down to "Autosomal Transfers" and click on the blue "$69" button.

Once you've uploaded your Ancestry.com raw data and paid for it, you'll be given a kit number and password for your FTDNA account. Log into that account and then go to the Sicily Project website at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Sicily and click on the "Join Request" link near the top of the page. You'll be asked to give some information about your known Sicilian ancestor(s) - full name(s), approximate year of birth and, if possible, ancestral town. With that information, you'll be approved for membership.
Old 1st May 2014, 09:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaddi View Post
Yes, the Sicily Project includes anyone with one or more Sicilian ancestors, but the members must have tested at FTDNA. You can upload your Ancestry.com autosomal results into FTDNA's database for $69 - see https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx. Scroll down to "Autosomal Transfers" and click on the blue "$69" button.

Once you've uploaded your Ancestry.com raw data and paid for it, you'll be given a kit number and password for your FTDNA account. Log into that account and then go to the Sicily Project website at https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Sicily and click on the "Join Request" link near the top of the page. You'll be asked to give some information about your known Sicilian ancestor(s) - full name(s), approximate year of birth and, if possible, ancestral town. With that information, you'll be approved for membership.
Thanks, I have already transferred, but I just wasn't sure if this was a group for people who know their Y or MT haplogroups, because I don't. Sounds like they take autosomal members too though.
Old 1st May 2014, 08:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

not Middle eastern - it's just wrong

I imported from 23 where I am showing as 99.4% European, which matches my family genealogy, 3/4 British Isles and 1/4 German (Pennsylania Dutch)fairly solid on most lines back to 1600's. On FTDNA I became 13% Middle-eastern.I am guessing it's my German maternal line relatively rare European haplogroup J2a1a1b.
Old 5th August 2014, 06:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Our results are almost the same (my kit number is: F316951)
and so is our ancestry in a broad sense, me being half Southern Italian (Neapolitan and possibly some Palermitan) and half North-West European (both native).
In the MDLP world-22 calculator your ''Near Eastern'' is somewhat higher as you might have noticed and my ''West Asian'' is somewhat higher than yours, so is my ''Arctic Amerindian'' and I don't score any ''South-American Amerindian''

Can I have your kit number for comparing our results with other calculators ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Western European 70.32% (French, Orcadian, Spanish) +/- 9.73%
Middle Eastern 29.68% (Palestinian, Iranian, Jewish, Adygei, Druze) +/- 9.73%

My FTDNA results.

My father is half Sicilian, half Italian - most likely all southern Italian. My mother is a mixture of northern and western European ancestry, including English, Irish, Scottish, German, Dutch, and Norwegian. There's "rumor" of a Native American ancestor on her side, but neither I nor anyone in my family has ever been able to find a paper trail, so I'm discounting it until there's proof.

I suspected the high Middle Eastern result was due to the southern Italian and Sicilian ancestry, so I ran numerous admixture analyses on GEDMatch. I'm not sure which one to use, but I've included a few screenshots.

So you'll all have to pardon my ignorance, but I'm a little confused. I notice that across tests I have a decent percentage of "West Asian," which would be the Caucasus region, correct? Is this common in Italian or any other European groups?

I also noticed small hits in Amerindian and sub-Saharan using Eurogenes. When you get small percentages and only on some of your chromosomes, is that more likely to indicate a distant ancestor or nothing at all? I'm not sure how to interpret it.

Thank you all so much for humoring me. I just received my results a few days ago and I have more information than I know what to do with. And I've read through so many websites about DNA that I'm a little overwhelmed.

Last edited by Peppino; 5th August 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:13 PM
FTDNA Customer

I was too late editing so here it goes:

Our results are almost the same (my kit number is: F316951)
and so is our ancestry in a broad sense, me being half Southern Italian (Neapolitan and possibly some Palermitan) and half North-West European (both native).
In the MDLP world-22 calculator your ''Near Eastern'' is somewhat higher as you might have noticed and my ''West Asian'' is somewhat higher than yours, so is my ''Arctic Amerindian'' and I don't score any ''South-American Amerindian''

Can I have your kit number for comparing our results with other calculators ?

My origins gives me a 74% European from which Scandinavia gets a 37%, Southern Europe gets 26% and the British Isles got a 11%.
The resting 25% is Middle Eastern from which all the 25% belongs to Asia Minor.

The old ''population finder'' gave me something like 34% Middle East (+/-10% error)and the rest West-Euro out of my head.
Old 6th August 2014, 11:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

I am half Maltese, I know some of my lines go back to Sicily. I got 78% Western and Central Europe, 16% Asia Minor and 6% North African.

Do many Sicillians get the North African component? My Mum's test is on the way, I am expecting her to be half Western and Central Europe and half Middle Eastern.
Old 4th January 2017, 08:03 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:

The clear trend is that anyone with half northern European and half Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry gets about 25-30% Middle Eastern, sometimes approaching 40%. Those with full Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry get over 50% Middle Eastern or Middle Eastern (Jewish). In a significant number of cases, they get 100% Middle Eastern (Jewish).

My mother is of Campanian descent. My father is of Northern European descent. My DNA doesn't show any Middle Eastern and neither does my mother's. Just European. How do you explain this?

Old 4th January 2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post

My mother is of Campanian descent. My father is of Northern European descent. My DNA doesn't show any Middle Eastern and neither does my mother's. Just European. How do you explain this?

First of all, what you've quoted from my previous post (from three years ago) applied to the trend seen in Population Finder results in the Sicily Project. That was what FTDNA called the old version of their ethnic/geographic admixture analysis.

Thankfully, it was replaced 2-3 years ago by myOrigins, which is now included as the ethnic/geographic admixture feature of Family Finder. While myOrigins still has some problems and is regarded as the least accurate admixture analysis of the three commercial companies, it's a vast improvement over Population Finder, at least for Sicily Project members.

I've seen a lot less overestimate of especially Middle Eastern (Jewish) (now called Jewish Diaspora) in myOrigins, although the Middle Eastern percentages are still high (40-50%, somewhat less than what was given by Population Finder) for those with full Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. This is explained by FTDNA as the result of designing the algorithm to reflect ancestry from as long ago as 1,000-10,000 years ago. Given that Sicily/southern Italy had major migrations/invasions from the Middle East during that period, that's a plausible explanation.

In terms of what you're specifically asking about your myOrigins results, I don't have a good answer. I've seen a few cases where someone has 1/4 or 1/2 Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry but little to no percentage for Middle Eastern.

If you're 1/2 Campanian, you should at least have some Southern European. Does myOrigins give you any percentage for Southern European? If so, how much?
Old 4th January 2017, 10:12 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
First of all, what you've quoted from my previous post (from three years ago) applied to the trend seen in Population Finder results in the Sicily Project. That was what FTDNA called the old version of their ethnic/geographic admixture analysis.

Thankfully, it was replaced 2-3 years ago by myOrigins, which is now included as the ethnic/geographic admixture feature of Family Finder. While myOrigins still has some problems and is regarded as the least accurate admixture analysis of the three commercial companies, it's a vast improvement over Population Finder, at least for Sicily Project members.

I've seen a lot less overestimate of especially Middle Eastern (Jewish) (now called Jewish Diaspora) in myOrigins, although the Middle Eastern percentages are still high (40-50%, somewhat less than what was given by Population Finder) for those with full Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry. This is explained by FTDNA as the result of designing the algorithm to reflect ancestry from as long ago as 1,000-10,000 years ago. Given that Sicily/southern Italy had major migrations/invasions from the Middle East during that period, that's a plausible explanation.

In terms of what you're specifically asking about your myOrigins results, I don't have a good answer. I've seen a few cases where someone has 1/4 or 1/2 Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry but little to no percentage for Middle Eastern.

If you're 1/2 Campanian, you should at least have some Southern European. Does myOrigins give you any percentage for Southern European? If so, how much?
Thanks so much for responding. Actually,my mother and I did our tests through Ancestry.com.

Mine:

35 percent Italian
34 percent Scandinavian
11 percent Iberian
15 percent Great Britain
5 percent Europe West

My mother's:

72 percent Italian
15 percent Iberian
13 percent Europe West

I find it strange because from my research as well as friends who took DNA tests, most have some percentage of Middle Eastern, even if it's small.

Old 4th January 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
Thanks so much for responding. Actually,my mother and I did our tests through Ancestry.com.

Mine:

35 percent Italian
34 percent Scandinavian
11 percent Iberian
15 percent Great Britain
5 percent Europe West

My mother's:

72 percent Italian
15 percent Iberian
13 percent Europe West

I find it strange because from my research as well as friends who took DNA tests, most have some percentage of Middle Eastern, even if it's small.

OK. That clarifies things.

In a certain sense, if you're comparing admixture percentages among the three companies, you're comparing apples to oranges to pears. Each company has their own database of reference populations and their own algorithms to determine percentages.

So, it's not a good comparison to look at your AncestryDNA admixture percentages and those at FTDNA, especially the 3 year old poor analysis from the Population Finder feature. As I mentioned in my previous post, myOrigins is an improvement for Sicily Project members in not overestimating Middle Eastern or Jewish ancestry, at least as much as Population Finder did.

If you want to see a comparison of the differences in admixture percentages at the three companies, here are mine.

FTDNA myOrigins

Southern European - 59%
Middle Eastern - 41% (Asia Minor - 36% and North Africa - 5%)

AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimate

Italy/Greece - 69%
Middle East - 10%
Caucasus - 7%
Iberian Peninsula - 4%
Great Britain - 3%
European Jewish - 3%

23andMe Ancestry Composition

Southern European - 94.7% (includes Italian 75.8%, Balkan 2.3%, Iberian 1.3%, Broadly Southern European 15.4%)
Northwestern European - 0.2%
Ashkenazi Jewish - < 0.1%
Broadly European - 1.1%
Middle Eastern/North Africa - 3.6% (includes Middle Eastern 3.1% and Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 0.5%)

I regard the 23andMe analysis as the most accurate and useful. 23andMe has specifically designed Ancestry Composition to hone in on the last 500 years of ancestry. As I mentioned above, FTDNA designed their algorithm to reflect ancestry as old as 1,000 to several thousand years ago. I don't remember if AncestryDNA has publicly stated what period of ancestry their estimates cover.

Having said all that, I do find it strange that AncestryDNA hasn't given your mother, with full southern Italian ancestry, any Middle Eastern at all. They did give me 10%. I suppose it's possible that she is just an outlier, whose ancestry doesn't include much distant Middle Eastern ancestry. She does have 13% Western European, so maybe she has significant distant ancestry (over 300 years ago) from north of Italy, instead of the usual distant Middle Eastern ancestry that a southern Italian would have.