Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Advanced Topics

mtDNA - Advanced Topics Users can exchange advanced information here on mtDNA testing, results, and questions. You must register and sign in to view or post in this forum.

Old 14th July 2012, 07:10 PM
FTDNA Customer

Haplogroup Origins - from "Genealogy by Genetics"

I just noticed a new blurb on my results page - it apprears to be a copyrighted description from Genealogy by Genetics. Is this a recent addition?

The description for U5a contains two significant errors. They date U5a at 40,000 years ago, while Behar dated it at 22,000 years, and Soares dated it at 27,000 years.

More importantly, they claim that U5a is mostly found in southern Europe which is simply not true.

They also claim that U5b1 likely originated in the Saami. Again, this is definitely, absolutely wrong.

It's nice that FTDNA is trying to get more specific information, but no information is better than wildly inaccurate descriptions.

Gail
Old 30th July 2012, 07:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

I'm interested in my U5b2 group. Since they are so ancient, it seems like they were "married" to males that were also of an ancient Y-haplogroup. And that would seem to be Y-haplogroup I. They would've been coupled long before they retreated south into LGM refugia. I wouldn't be surprised if my U5b2b(2) wintered in the northwest Balkans/Hungary region, rather than the Franco-Cantabrian refugium. The Adriatic Sea would've been dry land at the north end during the LGM, and a transition zone between the NW Balkan refugium and Italy.

Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 30th July 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 31st July 2012, 04:27 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
I'm interested in my U5b2 group. Since they are so ancient, it seems like they were "married" to males that were also of an ancient Y-haplogroup. And that would seem to be Y-haplogroup I. They would've been coupled long before they retreated south into LGM refugia. I wouldn't be surprised if my U5b2b(2) wintered in the northwest Balkans/Hungary region, rather than the Franco-Cantabrian refugium. The Adriatic Sea would've been dry land at the north end during the LGM, and a transition zone between the NW Balkan refugium and Italy.
Well, after browsing the ISOGG tree some more, it looks like "I" is too young. The husbands of U5/U5b2/U5b2b/U5b2b2 may have started out being the ancient root Y-haplogroup "F"(out of Africa).