Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 9th December 2009, 06:48 AM

To what extent are Y-DNA matches shown in "Matches" and "Ancestral Origins"?

Does anybody know to what extent matches are shown in "Matches" and "Ancestral Origins"?

I only got a 12-Marker-Test, till some days ago i only had one 12/12 match. I thought 11/12 would not be shown at all, but now one person with 11/12 showed up.

I guess 10/12 is not shown in matches and Ancestral Origins, because its just not very usefull.

But how about 25, 37 and 67 markers?

Are at this levels also only full matches and one-steps shown or also more-step mutations? Like 35/37 - 37/37 or 61/67 - 67/67?
Old 9th December 2009, 10:52 AM
Junior Moderator

As far as I can tell from my own Ancestral Origins page, 25-marker matches are shown at the exact and one-step levels. 37-marker matches are shown up to four steps away, however. 67-marker matches are shown at up to seven steps away.

It is important to keep an eye on the Ancestral Origins page. Sometimes good matches show up there who do not show up on one's Y-DNA Matches page. That's because not all men sign the permission form allowing their info to be shared with others, and some of them have their User Preferences set so that only members of their surname project can see them.

I had an exact 25-marker match with a man born in England that showed up on my Ancestral Origins page and nowhere else. I emailed FTDNA, they contacted the man, and he graciously emailed me. As a result, I was able to upgrade him to 67 markers and we now have a 65/67 match, albeit with different surnames.

Moral of the story: check your Ancestral Origins page!
Old 9th December 2009, 12:32 PM

Thank you for that information Stevo!
Old 10th December 2009, 08:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
It is important to keep an eye on the Ancestral Origins page. Sometimes good matches show up there who do not show up on one's Y-DNA Matches page. That's because not all men sign the permission form allowing their info to be shared with others, and some of them have their User Preferences set so that only members of their surname project can see them.
MUCH of the data in the in the Ancestral Origins database comes from FTDNA's research database, not their customer database.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:08 PM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
MUCH of the data in the in the Ancestral Origins database comes from FTDNA's research database, not their customer database.
It's still a good idea to keep an eye on it for good matches that might otherwise be missed.

Like I said, I found an exact 25-marker match there that appeared nowhere else, a match that ultimately became a 65/67 match.

I don't know how much of a purely research database a commercial enterprise like FTDNA maintains, but obviously not every entry in Ancestral Origins is part of that and nothing else.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-Iberian View Post
Does anybody know to what extent matches are shown in "Matches" and "Ancestral Origins"?

I only got a 12-Marker-Test, till some days ago i only had one 12/12 match. I thought 11/12 would not be shown at all, but now one person with 11/12 showed up.

I guess 10/12 is not shown in matches and Ancestral Origins, because its just not very usefull.

But how about 25, 37 and 67 markers?

Are at this levels also only full matches and one-steps shown or also more-step mutations? Like 35/37 - 37/37 or 61/67 - 67/67?
Since my uncle's sample is the only one for our surname in the FTDNA Db, he really has no meaningful matches, however since he is R-M222 he has many matches.

His match list for 37 markers contains exact matches + GD-1 thru GD-4. For 67 markers, he has matches shown for GD-1 thru GD-7.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

what does 65/67 mean in probability numbers

I am curious on your 65/67 match what does the chart look like for probability? For example on a 25/25 the chart shows a 4 generation percentage, an 8 gen % etc. what is the 4,8,12 and 16 percentage? It is much higher than if you just looked at the 25/25 chart?
Old 11th December 2009, 07:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Like I said, I found an exact 25-marker match there that appeared nowhere else, a match that ultimately became a 65/67 match.
Since FTDNA doesn't provide any identifying information, other than country and a possible comment, in the Ancestral Origins I am curious how you know this match was the same person.

Quote:
I don't know how much of a purely research database a commercial enterprise like FTDNA maintains, but obviously not every entry in Ancestral Origins is part of that and nothing else.
I don't know the percentages but it is enough that they say "the people whom you match or nearly match from both our research and customer databases."
Old 12th December 2009, 12:48 AM
Junior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
Since FTDNA doesn't provide any identifying information, other than country and a possible comment, in the Ancestral Origins I am curious how you know this match was the same person.
Did you read what I wrote?

I had FTDNA contact the man, the one I matched in Ancestral Origins. He, in turn, emailed me.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Did you read what I wrote?

I had FTDNA contact the man, the one I matched in Ancestral Origins. He, in turn, emailed me.
Sorry, I missed that part.