Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 10th February 2018, 09:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

Has anyone uploaded to Gencove?

I didn't know it existed until a couple of days ago... I uploaded my Ancestry results (it doesn't currently accept FTDNA) and was surprised to see how accurate it was. True, it could be more specific (british isles and west europe are lumped together). I'd say that it has the most accurate ethnicity calculator that I've used (I haven't used 23&me).

Has anyone else tried it?
Old 11th February 2018, 08:37 AM
FTDNA Customer

My son & I uploaded out results to Gencove; I also liked it. They have a Northern British population (I show 10%) which is interesting because my mother's maiden name was Kirk, and my son & I show a small amount of Ashkenazi (which is a strong component of our oral family history).
Old 11th February 2018, 12:33 PM
FTDNA Customer

I just uploaded my parent's data... slightly disappointing, too much scandinavian. Basically no better or worse than FTDNA, DNAland or My Heritage. Still not bad at all for a new company.

I should point out that I also tested with Ancestry, which is easily the worst of the bunch at predicting ethnicity.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:58 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelch View Post
I just uploaded my parent's data... slightly disappointing, too much scandinavian. Basically no better or worse than FTDNA, DNAland or My Heritage. Still not bad at all for a new company.

I should point out that I also tested with Ancestry, which is easily the worst of the bunch at predicting ethnicity.
That hasn't been my experience with the 4 kits I manage. In my opinion, 23andMe is the most accurate, then Ancestry, then FTDNA, then MyHeritage.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

I did too.All the ones I uploaded to have basically the same thing,give or take a few percentages.Ged Match is the most intense,confusing of all.
It all changes,depending which tools you use and there are a lot,of them.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

My Heritage

I uploaded to MyHeritage basic.I did a full family tree on there.Boy was I surprised to get notifications of matches,only to find they were all my deceased relatives that were on my Family Tree! WTF?
Then I received a few matches in Russian and Hebrew.REALLY?
There is no customer support if you are not a paying customer.
The data base for matches is very low.
Quite a few of my matches matched to the same people repeatedly.
The format layout I really like...itís easy..but needs a lot of improvement
Old 12th February 2018, 01:05 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio View Post
I uploaded to MyHeritage basic...
The data base for matches is very low.

These days, My Heritage has a considerably larger database than FTDNA, and it's growing fast.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamio View Post
I uploaded to MyHeritage basic.I did a full family tree on there.Boy was I surprised to get notifications of matches,only to find they were all my deceased relatives that were on my Family Tree! WTF?
MyHeritage is both a genealogy and DNA website. As such, when you add a family tree, the system will look for other trees with those ancestors, so you can collaborate with other people researching the same ancestors.