Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 12th February 2018, 12:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks again, Contemplator

Quote:
If you are project admin, then you may have better luck with getting the customer reps for group projects to yield better answers than regular customer reps. In the contact form, choose the Group Project category, choose the dropbox item indicating you are a project admin, and use your GAP login as your kit number.
I have always followed that procedure, but have not got any explanatory response.

As to a browser issue on Ybrowse, I often open OE 11 and Chrome in order to have two FTDNA sessions open, and I have not checked the Details for SNPs with OE ever, only Chrome, where hovering the mouse over SNPS does nothing for me. I will try this with OE soon. I passed on MS Edge.

Thanks so much for your help, and if we seem to have strayed from the root issue, a reminder to any readers is that my FTDNA Big Y hg38 took away all matches that used to show in Big Y,but that still show grouped in my Haplo Projects (I1a, I+Z140, etc) as part of the same ancient lineage. In other words, FTDNA is a minority view for my terminal SNP when all other interpreters show me as part of a +Z2538 and +A1892 lineage,and FTDNA used to have me connected to +Y3153 with some matches. Now all gone on FTDNA.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

Contemplator, Ybrowse responds!

Quote:
I looked up F1997 over at Ybrowse. Appears to have been a singleton found on a person from a different major haplogroup.
This responded today, and I do not know what "hg O3" person means, but it is gratifying to see the same info as you.

I am none the wiser about research, if any, on this SNP, esp as to why Ybrowse did not respond yesterday, but I have had some strange interactions between Win 10 Fall Creators and Google Chrome.

Perhaps the terminal SNP of F1997 will trigger more research, so let's keep a good thought.

Thanks!

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 12th February 2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12th February 2018, 08:01 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
This responded today, and I do not know what "hg O3" person means...
In this case "hg" is haplogroup. As for O3, that would be a specific haplogroup. As you may see over at ISOGG, they still use the old style of haplogroup naming. If you go to ISOGG and click on YSNP Tree, you can look for O3. In the current (2018) version, there is no O3. But as you might recall, the Ybrowse details indicate that SNP was added in 2011. So if you look at the 2011 version of ISOGG's tree, you can find a O3 or what would be named with the SNP naming scheme as O-M122. Now if you search for M122 in the 2018 version of the tree we can see it is now O2. As you can see the SNP naming scheme is more consistent.
Old 13th February 2018, 05:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for clarification

I knew that hg was sometimes haplogroup, but it is also appear as a Human Genome reference, which is what threw me off.

This is part of the problem in genetic notations: common symbols have multiple meanings, so that the plus-sign means positive or additional or found in different contexts, and the minus-sign can mean negative, less, or missing.

The "older" hierarchical structure is more obvious for analysis, but faces the problems of taking a lot of screen real estate, and in my case, the I haplo being dependent on fonts that clearly distinguish 1 (one) from I (eye) and l (small letter ell) which as you see, this forum font fails the test.

Thanks again, you have been a great help as opposed to the frequent condescending replies I have gotten on this forum. I admit I am an contrarian on "origin estimates" and some other questionable claims about DNA. My project is found by searching "Slaton DNA," if you have any suggestions, I am happy to consider them.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 13th February 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 15th February 2018, 01:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

Forgot to menton...

the problem that the connector-dash in, for example, I-F1997, which implies POSITIVE with no other marking. But if the I gets lopped off, it means the opposite, as in NEGATIVE for F1997.
This has caused me and many admins to add plus or minus after the SNP as in I-F1997+ and even that seems questionable and confusing since the SNP technically stands alone from the haplotype.
This makes for eagle-eyed typing, editing, and reading to avoid "opposite" interpretations, and communications from some admins shows that those who are conversant in SNPs everyday have forgotten about how it was when they were not, and how notes without clear indicators in written-out language make these symbols very confusing.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 15th February 2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

I never add the plus after a haplogroup (like I-F1997). If I did, it would be only when the SNP is by itself (F1997+). If the hyphen/minus is in front, well I never see that happen actually. I would just assume the haplogroup letter was forgotten and therefore a typo.
Old 16th February 2018, 07:18 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
This responded today, and I do not know what "hg O3" person means, but it is gratifying to see the same info as you.

I am none the wiser about research, if any, on this SNP, esp as to why Ybrowse did not respond yesterday, but I have had some strange interactions between Win 10 Fall Creators and Google Chrome.

Perhaps the terminal SNP of F1997 will trigger more research, so let's keep a good thought.

Thanks!
Isn't the SNP F1997 a private SNP only found in a certain family? I would think it would be restricted to that group and not necessarily widespread amongst people further up the haplotree?
Old 17th February 2018, 12:07 PM
FTDNA Customer

Mentioned previously

Look back to Feb 7 at 1:13pm in my response to you and you will see that this is what my "I" Haplo admin says, and he is in disagreement with FTDNA for effectively separating me from A1890 matches.

It is not likely that very many of project members will go beyond a SNP pack because of the cost of Big Y, and none have been interested enough so far.

Previous SNP matches listed at FTDNA remain in my Haplo Project grouping, but they no longer show on FTDNA Big Y matches. I was able to make contact with a couple before FTDNA made them invisible and unknowable to me.

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 17th February 2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: editing