Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 13th April 2017, 06:53 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchik View Post
In MyOrigins 3.0 your Asia Minor will disappear and you will have much less Middle East. Believe me.

In MyOrigins 2.0 many who had Asia Minor in MyOrigins 1.0 now have zero.

My advice is: dont waste your time comparing or speculating unless you are in this for fun and not for serious genealogy.
The ethnic percentage interests me just for fun, so no I don't base my research on it. At best, I suppose it can give an indication of where my ancestors might come from - supposing the estimates are even remotely accurate :-) (I've heard about the polemic surrounding the new version of MyOrigins).
Old 13th April 2017, 08:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablita View Post
Hi, how do you do know if the portuguese matches are sephardic? our surnames are pretty much the same, from my father family I know that the Pereira da silva is new christian and probably Pinto is too, my grandmother has surname Pinto from both sides.Do you think 12andme could solve this? on gedmatch i got crazy results with the eurotests.got volga, north sea and very few iberic.
Hi pablita.

The best way is the genealogy. Family names might be from Sephardic origin or not. It only the genealogy did clarify the things for me.

Natan
Old 24th November 2017, 01:28 AM
FTDNA Customer

Ariana

My Ancestry DNA results were:

Europe South (northern Italy) - 48%
Europe West - 25%
Scandinavia - 18%
Great Britain - 6%
Europe East - 3%

Both my parents and all my grandparents are from Asiago in the Veneto region of Italy.
Old 5th December 2017, 09:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

From FTDNA my Uncle is 14% Italy/Greece, no Anatolia
From Ancestry my Uncle is 18% Italy/Greece, 2% Caucasus
From MyHeritage my Uncle is 20.8 Italian, no Anatolia
If anyone wants to compare if we are cousins his GEDMatch is T930808 and he has two Mexican parents, and present in Mexico for hundreds of years. I've never seen any Italians in my tree although one name I suspected might have originated from there (Luevano.) That's a lot of Italian in my Uncle's DNA though. I think Italians are strongly represented with the general population of Jalisco, MX.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:08 PM
Giosué

[QUOTE=mollyblum;438394][QUOTE=Anizio;405985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz85 View Post
Italy has has tons of influx throughout history from the middle east and from Anatolia.

Have you had your Y-DNA done?

I had my Uncle tested as we are also from Abruzzi but it turns out our family is probably part of an Arbėrėshe clan as our Y-DNA is actually Balkan not Italian although I can go back to the 1700s with our family. The surname is actually ambiguous as it could be Albanian, Turkish, Bulgarian, Slavic or Italian (had it not had the accent).

The Ottoman Turks did invade right across the Adriatic Sea...

I also have a significant percentage of Asia Minor ancestry in addition to some Iberian, Italian & Balkan, and small % of Pakistani and West African.

I am sure most of that encompasses the Ottoman sweep across the Balkans and then my ancestors trek across the Adriatic to Italy and marriage with Italian women.

I have no idea what your ancestry is - if it is 100% Italian or partial - but remember these percentages are not recent. I understand that you are questioning the quantity as well. Has any else in your family tested here?
Are you serious?
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

don't try and sort out my origins 2

My results:
Middle Eastern 6%
European 78%
Jewish Diaspora 11% (Sephardic)

My Father:
Central/South Asian 5%
Middle Eastern 64% (62% Asia Minor)
European 30%
Jewish Diaspora 0%

My Mother:
Middle Eastern 2% (North Africa)
European 96%
Jewish Diaspora 0%

My father is half Iranian and my mother half Sicilian

My origins is flawed, and it's a technical issue with their algorithms. I would wait and see what Version 3 holds for us.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:04 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBianco View Post
My results:
Middle Eastern 6%
European 78%
Jewish Diaspora 11% (Sephardic)

My Father:
Central/South Asian 5%
Middle Eastern 64% (62% Asia Minor)
European 30%
Jewish Diaspora 0%

My Mother:
Middle Eastern 2% (North Africa)
European 96%
Jewish Diaspora 0%

My father is half Iranian and my mother half Sicilian

My origins is flawed, and it's a technical issue with their algorithms. I would wait and see what Version 3 holds for us.
I would not be optimistic about the timing of MO 3. When I checked with the staff last summer, I was informed that the person writing the White Paper for MO 2 had left the company.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

According to competing sites, I only have minimal Italian (actually, Sicilian) heritage - between 4.1% (MyH) and 13.4% (23&M) - but even given that, FTDNA shows me as about 2% Asia Minor:

British Isles 50%
East Europe 25%
Iberia 3%
Asia Minor <2%
Jewish Diaspora (Sephardic) 19%

I guess that jives with what others are saying here (in general). It still seems an odd result.

Last edited by mjclayton31; 4th January 2018 at 12:28 PM.