Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 3rd November 2017, 09:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Confused on what testing route to take.

I am an illegitimate child of a mother who was adopted. For years I have wondered who I am and my ethnic background. My grandmother told me before she died that the father's name on my birth certificate is not my real father. I had asked my mother about this and she refuses to talk to me about it. It actually has caused a rift where we haven't spoken to each other for close to 20 years.

I am not really on a search for my father. I am guessing he is dead as my grandmother said he was considerably older than my mother who is now 75. I would like to know if I have family out there from his side as well as my mother's birth family. I would really like to know my true ethnicity as well.

I ordered a Family Finder kit last night so I guess I will see where that takes me. I am confused about the yDNA and mtDNA testing though. Getting my mother to test is not an option. Just wondering the best way to go it alone. I'm believing I will need to do both the yDNA and mtDNA to get the answers I seek?
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

mtDNA will be your mothers mothers mothers line (all female line)
It will not help you with your father and for genealogical relevance one is recommended to take the Full Sequence mtDNA test. mtDNA can be the least useful
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

First test you should take is the FamilyFinder test, It covers all lines back about 5 Generations. You will be matched to others in the databases and given approximate relationship status (ie Parent/child, Sibling, 1st to 2nd cousin, ect)

If you are male then I would also suggest a yDNA test of a minimum of 37markers. This may point to a possible surname of your father if others have of your yDNA STR signature have tested and are in the database.
you can order at a discount through the following
https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...?Group=Adopted
There are also weekly discounts given during the month of December.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:22 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
mtDNA will be your mothers mothers mothers line (all female line)
It will not help you with your father and for genealogical relevance one is recommended to take the Full Sequence mtDNA test. mtDNA can be the least useful
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-relationship/

First test you should take is the FamilyFinder test, It covers all lines back about 5 Generations. You will be matched to others in the databases and given approximate relationship status (ie Parent/child, Sibling, 1st to 2nd cousin, ect)

If you are male then I would also suggest a yDNA test of a minimum of 37markers. This may point to a possible surname of your father if others have of your yDNA STR signature have tested and are in the database.
you can order at a discount through the following
https://www.familytreedna.com/group-...?Group=Adopted
There are also weekly discounts given during the month of December.
Thank you for the quick reply. I did indeed order the Family Finder kit last night and just got notice it is shipped to me. I am male and am planning on the YDNA test. Thank you for the discount information. I am definitely on a budget with disposable income. I was figuring I would need to do the mtDNA test as well to look into my mother's birth family.
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I did indeed order the Family Finder kit last night and just got notice it is shipped to me. I am male and am planning on the YDNA test. Thank you for the discount information. I am definitely on a budget with disposable income. I was figuring I would need to do the mtDNA test as well to look into my mother's birth family.
I would hold off on the mtDNA for now and see what shows up using the FamilyFinder test. As mentioned mtDNA may not be of much help.

Keep an eye out for weekly discount codes the month of December in the following Google document. It will be updated once the discount codes are issued in December
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1929263620

Last edited by prairielad; 3rd November 2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 6th November 2017, 04:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

FamilyFinder was a great choice, and if you are lucky, may provide answers to relatives depending on who else has tested (or tests in the future).

How reliable it is for ethnicity is debatable - but despite that --
If there is any chance - possibly by concentrating your discussion on finding ethnicity?? - that you can talk your mother into doing the Family Finder Test, do so.

Does she have any biological sisters or brothers (or other relatives) that you know of?
Old 10th December 2017, 12:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

You should upload to GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis when you get your results. People who tested with other companies upload there as well. I have 20x as many matches there as I do here. And the admixture calculators are pretty interesting.