Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 13th July 2018, 09:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Trace Y ancestry with Big Y

Can Big Y be used to trace Y ancestry?
Old 13th July 2018, 10:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeman View Post
Can Big Y be used to trace Y ancestry?
What specifically do you mean in regards to Y-ancestry?
Old 14th July 2018, 11:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Question Tracing ancestry/admixture from Big Y SNPs.

Well, since the Big Y test uncovers numerous SNPs, which can be downloaded into a csv file, can they be uploaded to an admixture calculator?
Old 14th July 2018, 11:35 AM
FTDNA Customer

Since Y chromosome comes only from the father, I don't see how there would be any "admixture". YDNA ancestry is traced back based on intergenerational mutations in the Y chromosome.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y admixture

I suppose then the geographical coordinates at each marker mutation would reveal an ancestray migration pattern in time (ybp).
Old 15th July 2018, 06:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeman View Post
I suppose then the geographical coordinates at each marker mutation would reveal an ancestray migration pattern in time (ybp).
There are no geographical coordinates at each "mutation" on the Y-chromosome.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:14 AM
FTDNA Customer

Marker geographic coordinates

Yes, you are correct. It is so true that the geographic location of DNA markers cannot be pinned down to specific coordinates. So, I guess I'll have to settle for such ideas about markers to something like O-M122 is a Southeast Asian haplogroup. And, maybe do some guesswork based on one of the vendor/GEDmatch admixture calculators
Old 15th July 2018, 12:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

For some groups of Big Y results (with subsequent analysis by YFull or other services), it is possible to get an idea of some aspects of the "history" of some part of the haplotree, with respect to the adoption and stability of surnames. For example, it is now easy to pick out the specific group of SNP's that are at the base of a part of the haplotree containing essentially all of the Buchanan family (and little else), and, within that group, a derived group that now has the surname McCasland or similar. How that came to be is not revealed by the genetic evidence, but the pattern of SNP's makes it very clear that it did happen. It is also clear, from the many branches already discovered in that part of the haplotree, that many additional mutations have occurred, and in a particular sequence, within the Buchanan family. However, without additional (documentary?) evidence, this intriguing history doesn't yet constitute genealogy in the usual sense of an unbroken series of provable generations.
Old 15th July 2018, 05:27 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCoy View Post
For some groups of Big Y results (with subsequent analysis by YFull or other services), it is possible to get an idea of some aspects of the "history" of some part of the haplotree, with respect to the adoption and stability of surnames. For example, it is now easy to pick out the specific group of SNP's that are at the base of a part of the haplotree containing essentially all of the Buchanan family (and little else), and, within that group, a derived group that now has the surname McCasland or similar. How that came to be is not revealed by the genetic evidence, but the pattern of SNP's makes it very clear that it did happen. It is also clear, from the many branches already discovered in that part of the haplotree, that many additional mutations have occurred, and in a particular sequence, within the Buchanan family. However, without additional (documentary?) evidence, this intriguing history doesn't yet constitute genealogy in the usual sense of an unbroken series of provable generations.
I believe the 7th chief of Clan Buchanan was Anselan MacCausland, perhaps some branches of Buchanan's took the name MacCausland instead of Buchanan.

I am envious of the Buchanan's DNA results to some degree. It is quite fascinating (and impressive) that so many belong to just one split on the haplotree. I think there is something similar going on with the Clan MacFarlane DNA Project with a fairly large amount of them belonging to the same branches and having roots in the Loch Lomond and Lennox areas.

Unfortunately for me the Clan project I am a part of is quite diverse in terms of Y-haplogroups and even though some belong to Haplogroup I1, I am on my own twig with my cousins and we are negative for the terminal SNPs that define the haplogroup of our 2 Big Y matches!