Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced

Y-DNA Haplogroups & SNPs Advanced Users can talk about SNP based tests such as single SNP testing by Sanger sequencing, Geno 2.0 chip based testing, and next-generation sequencing tests like BIG Y.

Old 1st July 2017, 02:32 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgian1950 View Post
YSEQ might still be quicker and I believe its sample kit is only $3.00.

Jack
Thank you. I will look into it.
Old 1st July 2017, 09:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Well, yes, that is correct. I am also trying to save dollars on the confirmation. I do like your suggestion, except for the cost. Thanks again.
Old 2nd July 2017, 01:40 PM
yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by whgrant3 View Post
Well, yes, that is correct. I am also trying to save dollars on the confirmation. I do like your suggestion, except for the cost. Thanks again.
If cost is the main thing in your mind, then make sure your brother's Big Y private SNPs (at least some of them) are made testable at YSEQ. Then order one or two of those SNPs for yourself after you've sent your DNA sample to YSEQ.

The alternative of both of you testing Family Finder would be $89 each, unless your brother has already had Family Finder done. You would save some money by going the YSEQ route if both of you have to order Family Finder or even if only you have to order Family Finder.

That's the way to go, if you don't mind the minor detail of getting your brother's Big Y private SNPs made testable at YSEQ. As I mentioned previously, you or your brother would have to provide YSEQ with the location and ancestral and derived calls for the SNP. That information is available in in the raw data (VCF file) of your brother's Big Y results.