Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 8th December 2017, 02:51 AM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I don't have a tree. I removed mine when FTDNA made it possible for other people to link their trees without permission. Copying is bad enough!

But I would also prefer for people to get in touch with me so we could discuss our genealogy and matching DNA segment!!! How can we help one another and make any progress in either genealogy or DNA triangulation if there is no discussion!!!
Old 9th December 2017, 03:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hesse View Post
While it can be helpful that locations have been added in the surname list (especially when no tree has been uploaded), it can also be a detriment. Among my surnames are KENT and ENGLAND. ftDNA finds a match to KENT for anyone who lists a location of "Kentucky", and of course I match anyone who lists a location of "England". This makes identifying matches on those surnames quite tedious.
But it is pretty easy to do here, in that one click reveals the entire list of surnames/locations. I always check each person's list because some ethnicities have many spelling variations for surnames, and the filter will miss them.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:08 AM
FTDNA Customer

I just don't find the surnames list all that useful. For instance, I usually find that I have to dig deep into a family tree to find a connection. Even knowing a surname doesn't tell me much about how we're connected. Many times, I've spent a lot of time working out the family tree for a match who didn't post one. Often, I'm able to work out the pedigree for that person, but it takes a lot of work. If I'm able to work out their tree with very little information, they would be able to do it easily.

Sometimes, I will contact a match to get more information. Even then, unless they provide access to a tree, I spend a lot of time working out their connection.

I don't understand why people don't want to publish their tree, unless they're not interested in exchanging information or they just don't have the time or ability to put together a tree. At the very least, if they provide a tree with a couple of generations, I can work out the connection more easily. I'm sure that some people get useful information from other people's trees, but don't want to post theirs. That's their right, if they want to do that, but it's not very helpful.
Old 10th December 2017, 02:18 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I got behind when I moved and never have caught up, but I used to contact every single match I got here. It's become rather useless as the response rate is near zero these days.

But I've hardly ever found any connection with any match, whether I write, view trees or surname lists, or construct a tree for the match, which I sometimes do.

Ancestry is a little better, at least when it comes to close matches. But 7 years of working DNA hasn't broken down a single brick wall, and I'm beginning to think it's totally useless except for adoptees looking for parents. It seems to work with very close generations, but finding 3rd great-grandparents appears to be impossible.
Old 10th December 2017, 03:14 PM
FTDNA Customer

MoberleyDrake - I have matches that I could help find their gtgt-grandparents and beyond if only they'd read their messages and reply to messages! I've e-mailed people and said "I know who your gtgtgt-grandmother was - we're descended from her as well" (and we're a DNA match). I've had no reply.

Or there are the frustrating ones (at another site with a large database) with HUGE private trees which get bigger by the day who are very possessive of their information. If they weren't in the top ten matches and if they lived halfway across the world I might not be so keen to work out the connection, but they live in the same country which has a population of only 4 million residents and are also estimated as a 4th to 6th cousin to a "cousin" who (unfortunately in this instance) is descended from 3 of my gt-grandparents, so it makes it harder to narrow down the connection. I've invited her asa guest to a very cropped tree - ONLY the direct line and no siblings etc because I know she'll copy it ALL on to her huge tree and she won't invite me to see any of it.
Old 11th December 2017, 04:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
I don't understand why people don't want to publish their tree, unless they're not interested in exchanging information or they just don't have the time or ability to put together a tree.
A small part of people with no tree, I think is person managed by a administrator for the research (who handle several account among relatives). If i check my matches list, I see one persons e-mail connected to 8 account. I do understand it can be very tedious for that person to update every tree. Maybe FTDNA should have a way for them to replicate tree between account that is managed.
Old 11th December 2017, 08:50 AM
FTDNA Customer

I agree that it's difficult for many people who are managing multiple accounts. I manage a couple of accounts for relatives. I use the (free) Gramps application on my desktop PC to manage my trees. Gramps is somewhat complicated to use, but it has the ability to export gedcom files using filters so that you can create a subset of a master tree that's tailored for a specific person.

I realize that not everybody is able to use software like this nor to does everybody have the time to put into it.

In cases like that, it would be really useful to put at least a basic tree for each individual that has a pedigree for a couple of generations.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post

Or there are the frustrating ones (at another site with a large database) with HUGE private trees which get bigger by the day who are very possessive of their information... I've invited her as a guest to a very cropped tree - ONLY the direct line and no siblings etc because I know she'll copy it ALL on to her huge tree and she won't invite me to see any of it.
There are those who post huge trees on Ancestry and there is lots of cutting and pasting of trees there. When someone has thousands of names on a tree, I'll bet that they haven't researched many of the entries - if any at all.
Old 13th December 2017, 01:45 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
There are those who post huge trees on Ancestry and there is lots of cutting and pasting of trees there. When someone has thousands of names on a tree, I'll bet that they haven't researched many of the entries - if any at all.
Even though the tree is private there is a way I can see some individuals.

The fact that she has the wrong surname for her own gt-grandmother makes me doubt the quality of the research. If she was prepared to spend just a small sum at ScotlandsPeople and get the death certificate of her gtgt-grandmother (I've found the entry - it wasn't hard to find) she might learn who the parents of a gtgt-grandmother's were. The tree doesn't have a date of death for this gtgt-grandmother.

She doesn't recognise any of the names in the tree I gave her access to. I've suggested to her that the unknown father of her mother might be a relative of ours, but she hasn't responded. She's probably puzzled that I know her grandmother wasn't married.