Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 25th February 2015, 04:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Why all the delays

My Y-DNA37 kit was rcvd by Family Tree on 1/3/15. At the time I placed the order the web site stated results would be ready in 3-4 weeks. Then the date was pushed back to the period mid-February to first week in March. I just checked again and now it has been pushed back to first week in April, which would be 12 weeks.

Why all the delays? By now I am beginning to lose interest in the whole DNA thing altogether. And the company as well.
Old 25th February 2015, 04:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Hang in there..

Hang in there. They just got through having problems with their testing procedure that concerned the first 12 markers, someone else can explain this better than me but I know that is why mine took so long. They are supposedly over this hurdle but are still dealing with a back log. It'll come..
Old 25th February 2015, 05:11 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog700 View Post
My Y-DNA37 kit was rcvd by Family Tree on 1/3/15. At the time I placed the order the web site stated results would be ready in 3-4 weeks. Then the date was pushed back to the period mid-February to first week in March. I just checked again and now it has been pushed back to first week in April, which would be 12 weeks.

Why all the delays? By now I am beginning to lose interest in the whole DNA thing altogether. And the company as well.
They had a supply problem and are no longer able to get one of the components they need for their str testing, and so they are having to use a different procedure. The problem is that they did not bother to notify existing and new customers of this issue. My y111 was ordered on 12/17 and I am still waiting for the last panel as of 2/25. There are others that have been waiting much longer than have I.
Old 25th February 2015, 05:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post
Hang in there. They just got through having problems with their testing procedure that concerned the first 12 markers, someone else can explain this better than me but I know that is why mine took so long. They are supposedly over this hurdle but are still dealing with a back log. It'll come..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekc123 View Post
They had a supply problem and are no longer able to get one of the components they need for their str testing, and so they are having to use a different procedure.

Well, after waiting a few more months you will also stop believing everything FTDNA is telling you.
I am waiting since November (batch 598) and here are people who are waiting much longer then me, some of them even 8 months as you can read in this forum.
So I think there is a fundamental problem and not a temporarily one like FTDNA is trying to tell us.

Last edited by E19463; 25th February 2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 25th February 2015, 06:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E19463 View Post
Well, after waiting a few more months you will also stop believing everything FTDNA is telling you.
I am waiting since November (batch 598) and here are people who are waiting much longer then me, some of them even 8 months as you can read in this forum.
So I think there is a fundamental problem and not a temporarily one like FTDNA is trying to tell us.
I actually agree with you 100% that there are other problems besides a simple supply issue. I have, for example, posted about the errors that appear on the HG I haplotree, which have not been corrected despite the fact that several months have passed since the issue was originally brought to the company's attention. However, how FTDNA has handled the supply problem is indicative of other bigger issues with the company, and so I keep bringing it up. I had to wait about 5 1/2 months for my deep clade test results and that was several years ago, and so these issues have been ongoing.

As I said, if my results are not posted within the next few days, I will probably lodge a formal complaint about the unreasonable wait times, whatever the cause. The fact is that the company was offering a test with the full knowledge that a supply issue prevented it from actually running the test until it had formulated a workaround. Customers were not notified of this issue and that is a problem for me, since I want to be fully informed about the availability of a product before ordering it (or consenting for a relative to order it as a gift).

Last edited by ekc123; 25th February 2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 25th February 2015, 06:19 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

I'm not trying to rub it in, just reporting my experience. I had one new kit processed this way:
  • FTDNA received new kit as of 11 Dec 2014
  • Kit assigned to batch 601 late on 17 Dec 2014
  • FF due 7-14 Jan
  • Y-67 panels expected dates averaged over time as about 26 Jan-9 Feb (given in weeks, not date range)
  • Y-67 was later given the last estimate as date range of 29 Jan-12 Feb for all but 1-12 markers (which were expected 15-29 Jan)
Results:
  • FF completed on 7 Jan., about 3 weeks.
  • Y-67 - all panels came in at once, on 10 Feb.; just over 8 weeks.
I honestly thought this kit would be delayed the way others have reported. Also, I couldn't be present to monitor how carefully this sample was taken, and feared that it might be lacking in quality.

I sincerely hope all who have the ridiculous delays will get satisfaction soon.
Old 25th February 2015, 07:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Supply issues

For the record, I do believe that the company really did have a supply problem. It would explain why there have been multiple delays rather than just a few delays with individual kits. But I also believe that the company had an implicit duty to make customers aware of this fact so they could make an informed decision about whether to purchase the product or not. Its failure to notify customers indicates that there are bigger issues with the company that need to be addressed. The more I have been thinking about this, the more I am inclined to believe that this lack of notification of changes in availability of products and services on the part of FTDNA will not be corrected by customers merely contacting customer service. That seems to not lead anywhere.

I am going to wait until the "new" completion date has expired, but if I don't have my results by 3/11, I am going to move forward with a formal complaint. It is true that it is a hobby, but these tests aren't exactly cheap either, and customers have a right to obtain results in a timely manner.

Last edited by ekc123; 25th February 2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 25th February 2015, 07:53 PM
mtDNA: H31a | Y-DNA: R-L21

Wink Batches - Like baking cookies!

There was a just a Q&A exchange about Family Finder delays on another forum that may be helpful in understanding "batches" in general.

"Think of it as baking cookies. You can only put so many cookie sheets in the oven at the same time. You pull one set out because it's done, and put more in the oven. They're all from the same "batch" of batter, but they're not all going to be done at the same time."

This is probably the best example I have seen for how kits in the same "batch" can receive results on different dates.
Old 25th February 2015, 08:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks for everyone's reply to my complaint

I really appreciate everyone's responses and thoughts on the delay issues, however disheartening it now is that I have no idea when to realistically expect my results.

However, I am in total agreement with ekc123. This is a major customer service lapse. I am generally a patient person, just be upfront and fully explain the problem(s) and I will likely, albeit grudgingly, be OK with everything. The total lack of communication between the company and customers is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I paid for the service in good faith based on what they stated on their web site. This was not a cheap expense on my part. The fact initially promised due dates just come and go with no explanation infuriates me.

The most ironic thing about the whole matter is that I actually live 5 minutes from their offices here in Houston. I drive by their building every day on my way to work. It is very tempting to just stop by and complain in person and ask for my money back. Which I may do depending on what happens in the next week or so.

Lesson learned!
Old 25th February 2015, 08:53 PM
FTDNA Customer

delays

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog700 View Post
I really appreciate everyone's responses and thoughts on the delay issues, however disheartening it now is that I have no idea when to realistically expect my results.

However, I am in total agreement with ekc123. This is a major customer service lapse. I am generally a patient person, just be upfront and fully explain the problem(s) and I will likely, albeit grudgingly, be OK with everything. The total lack of communication between the company and customers is NOT ACCEPTABLE. I paid for the service in good faith based on what they stated on their web site. This was not a cheap expense on my part. The fact initially promised due dates just come and go with no explanation infuriates me.

The most ironic thing about the whole matter is that I actually live 5 minutes from their offices here in Houston. I drive by their building every day on my way to work. It is very tempting to just stop by and complain in person and ask for my money back. Which I may do depending on what happens in the next week or so.

Lesson learned!
You are correct. The company failed to notify customers about the lack of the availability of the str test, since they apparently ceased production for an unspecified period of time due to no longer being supplied with a component they needed to process the str tests. That I am aware of, the company never notified customers of this supply issue and offered the test for sale even as production had ceased and it was testing a new workaround procedure. Had it been upfront about the potential delays, I would be a lot more patient, but I only learned about the issue through reading the posts on the forums, specifically a response to an inquiry made by another customer. I hope you do get your test results soon and that you do not have to wait as others have had to.

The post to which I am referring can be read here:
http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...269#post398269

Last edited by ekc123; 25th February 2015 at 08:57 PM.