Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 24th November 2017, 04:42 AM
FTDNA Customer
Do you know who is your biological mother? Has she tested?

What about your match? Can she determine which side of her family you are on based on the matches "in common with" feature?

Likewise can you make any connection to matches in common with your match, Joy.

Are you about the same age as your match? This may help in helping to determine if you might be a 1st cousin to one of her parents (i.e. if you are quite a bit older than her), if she is a first cousin to one of your parents (she is quite a bit older than you), or if you are half 1st cousins (you are roughly the same age). Obviously this is in a general sense. For example, half siblings are sometimes born 15-20 years apart.

It is a good idea for anybody who is unsure of who their biological parents are to test at all three main Dna testing companies. Have you also tested at any of the other two major companies Ancestry or 23andme?