X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deirwha
    • Jun 2008

confused

I specifically asked FTDNA about these and they told me that they did not advise further testing for me. What am I missing?

Comment

• tomcat
      FTDNA Customer
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
      I specifically asked FTDNA about these and they told me that they did not advise further testing for me. What am I missing?
      The X STR's are exploratory at this stage. FTDNA can not offer them as informative about ancestry because they may not be informative for you, or not yet, or not until the database of test results is much larger.

The WorldFamilies project is expanding the database by including X SNP's from the genome scanners. It is most likely that the linked STR's fall within a region of more widespread linkage disequilibrium, as defined by SNP's. And the X SNP's can be compared to larger population databases (HGDP-CEPH and the database of scan testees) for potential information about ancestry.

In the pay-to-play world of DNA testing, the FTDNA X STR's are a cheap ticket.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
        mtDNA: J2b1a1(a) | Y-DNA: I2a1a | Horse Person
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Deirwha View Post
        I agree with Tomcat that the markers that can be compared such as the DXS 10074,10075,10079 are very very reasanable and I have had matches which suggest Geographic origins.

I would think it depends on who you might talk to at FTDNA..since they offer the test..

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          For those interested in the X chromosome, there is a second site where you can post your results and explore X-based relatedness:

Also remember to post at: www.dna-fingerprint.com

FTDNA offers two panels of X STR markers under Advanced Tests. The three markers, DXS10074, 10075, 10079 are linked and are the most important to test.

The WorldFamilies site also accepts X SNP's from 23andMe and DeCodeMe.
          By the way
          A person's X inheritance looks different than autosomal and some of us have adopted as a signature line at the World Families Forum our X inheritance..here is mine below..interesting
          I am excited about it..

Comment

• tomcat
            FTDNA Customer
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Kathleen Carrow View Post
            By the way
            A person's X inheritance looks different than autosomal and some of us have adopted as a signature line at the World Families Forum our X inheritance...
            I tested myself and four siblings and was able to isolate both maternal haploblocks (DXS10074,75,79 note order) and the single paternal haploblock. The paternal block - 7, 13, 16 - and X profile overall is 100% Ukrainian Ashekenazi. The maternal blocks - 8, 18, 17 and 16, 17, 22 - and X profile overall is (nominally) 50-50 Upper Midwest Native American and European. Paternal is posted at DNA-F under username Pekarsky-Zacun and maternal under Dorothee. On The X STR chart at WF I am 4a and 4b1&2.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
              • Apr 2006

I tested myself and four siblings and was able to isolate both maternal haploblocks (DXS10074,75,79 note order) and the single paternal haploblock. The paternal block - 7, 13, 16 - and X profile overall is 100% Ukrainian Ashekenazi. The maternal blocks - 8, 18, 17 and 16, 17, 22 - and X profile overall is (nominally) 50-50 Upper Midwest Native American and European. Paternal is posted at DNA-F under username Pekarsky-Zacun and maternal under Dorothee. On The X STR chart at WF I am 4a and 4b1&2.
              I have tested Sister and myself , there being only the two of us luckily we each were given a separate Haploblock from Mom and of course being Siblings we share the one from Dad

At DNA-FP We are "Kathlingram" and "Kathlingram2" and I have made a profile for what Dad's was called "BillCarrow"..
              At World Families I am 1 a,b and Sister is 2a,b..
              The X haploblock( 10074,75,79) that Sister has from Mom matches more than one person at DNA-FP and those look possibly German or Danish..this is: 17,17,19.Either one is possible as we have a Swedish GGF and one of German origin
              The one I inherited matches a couple people also ..that one is this: 8,18,18
              That one is more likely to be from our larger Irish heritage and my matches lines look like that also

The one who share from Dad does not yet have a match:

Please see our X heritage on my Signature line.
              Kathleen

Comment

• tomcat
                FTDNA Customer
                • May 2005

X Chromosome browser.

FTDNA has put-up an X Chromosome browser (like their Y browser):

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                  • Apr 2006

FTDNA has put-up an X Chromosome browser (like their Y browser):

http://xmap.ftdna.com/cgi-bin/gbrowse/hs_chrX/#search

GOSH Tomcat~!
                  What does that mean? Is there an explanation?Let me go back and try to find out.

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                    • Apr 2006

New Prices and Services

Hi Everyone
                    I was just informed that Family Tree DNA has lowered their X STR prices to be inline with the Y test..
                    Panel #1 is now $99..
                    Additionally they plan a Comparative Database for the X markers soon..possibly to be accessed from our Personal pages..
                    Yeah for them~!
                    Kathleen

Comment

• tomcat
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • May 2005

Good news!
                      (If you've been waiting to do X STR's, now you know the reason why).
                      Wonder if all of DNAF's Xmatch will move to the FTDNA X db?

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                        • Apr 2006

Hi Everyone
                        I was just informed that Family Tree DNA has lowered their X STR prices to be inline with the Y test..
                        Panel #1 is now $99..
                        Additionally they plan a Comparative Database for the X markers soon..possibly to be accessed from our Personal pages..
                        Yeah for them~!
                        Kathleen

Looking at this again I realzie that $99 is the price for "New Tests" if you have already tested at FTDNA the price for Panel #1 is $48.

Comment

• DKF
                          • Oct 2007

Hi Everyone
                          Panel #1 is now $99..
                          Yeah for them~!
                          Kathleen
                          Pretty savy move on their part Kathleen.

There must be a lot of customers such as myself who shouldered the burden for testing every cousin imaginable, as well as deep deep clade SNP testing for myself and select cousins, and have gone as far with this as is possible at this point.

This will awaken many of us looking for new avenues to explore. The X is fascinating and the possibilities much more extensive than the Y. So yes, if Thomas migrates all of the data from the DNA-P database, then we will have a good running start.

The problem, as I have been harping on for some time, is that people will need to forget about what is or is not on the autosomes and take the time to figure out percentages for each group relating only to the X.

It is more complicated for females, and mind boggling going back beyond say 7 generations, but if people are putting down any data where for example a father's father is involved this data will be totally misleading and worse. It is so easy with the straight Y or mtDNA lines, but all of the cross over zig zagging but stopping here, but continuing there ....... But, once the task is done that is it, then interpretation and direct comparisons will be possible - but you will often have to trust that your match has done the task "by the numbers".

Comment

• Kathleen Carrow
                            • Apr 2006

Well for sure you are correct about the X ancestry..being quite different.
                            I was surprised myself to see my percentages. I have forgotten sometimes and look for a hint of my paternal line there but I have it down now and it is not hard.

I HAVE seen some people are not representing their X ancestry correctly and I guess all that can happen there is you discount what those people say their ethnicity is?

Of course my only REAL unknown IS the paternal Grandfather so maybe at some point autosomal SNPS might help to define that person? Full genome?

Comment

• tomcat
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • May 2005

... Of course my only REAL unknown IS the paternal Grandfather so maybe at some point autosomal SNPS might help to define that person? Full genome?
                              I think autosomal markers are your only hope and the genome-wide scans are, at present, the most comprehensive autosomal assays. That grandfather accounts for one quarter of your autosome (nominally) so some contribution from him must certainly be present. The problem is discerning his contribution from that of the other three grandparents. That would be easier if he was ethnically different from the other three and the comparative database highlighted that ethnic difference.

Comment

• tomcat
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • May 2005

This study from last year on Latin America shows that older, Native American and African signals of admixture are better preserved on the X chromosome than in the autosome.

(And for those with DNATribes matches to 'Mestizo' populations the paper provides some guidance to degree of Native American ancestry in selected populations. Although that information is also available by Googling demographics for said populaions.)

Comment

Working...
                                X