• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donald Locke
    FTDNA Customer
    • Nov 2004

Y DNA results not showing in project

I already submitted a ticket, but wondering if anyone else has been having this issue. I have 2 participants in the
    Y Haplogroup H project who's Y DNA results are not showing up on the public FTDNA web page for the project.

When I log in as Admin I see both are marked Yes show Y DNA results, but when I log out and go to the public page with out being logged in, neither kit is showing up.
    Anyone else having the same issue?
  • dna
    FTDNA Customer
    • Aug 2014

Did you check their kit permissions?

The setting is named Who can view my DNA results in group projects?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

• TurnerAdm
      FTDNA Customer
      • Feb 2015

Donald,

FTDNA now has the default for privacy settings so the results will NOT show on the public website. This is what I am seeing on all new test results. The member has to log into their kit and go to privacy settings and change the second option from what it currently shows as Members only to making both mtDNA and Y-DNA public. It is really aggravating when someone tests in your group and then you have to write them and give them detailed instructions on how to make the changes. More wasted time for us admins. I have been working up some boiler plate verbage to use. A group admin can not make the changes--only the member.

Another default is that the profile is set at private so again, nothing shows when someone clicks on their matches.

Comment

• GoofusBroadway
        FTDNA Customer
        • Sep 2014

Item #1 -- my own kit
        I've tried to make the following changes in my own kit's settings numerous times:

-- "Who can view my most distant ancestor?" to "Share my Most Distant Ancestor with other people in projects that I've joined."

-- "Who can see me in project member lists?" to "Project Members"

I have clicked on "SAVE" until I'm blue in the face. It has never changed, and it shows no intention of doing so (i.e., clicking "save" results in NO changes in the screen... not even a flicker).

Item #2 -- a kit I manage
        I have ALL permissions set to YES on every kit I have access to. One of those kits does not show in the 12-marker lists for people he has GD=0 with, but he does show in the other match lists.

go figure.
        kathy

Comment

• Donald Locke
          FTDNA Customer
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by TurnerAdm View Post
          Donald,

FTDNA now has the default for privacy settings so the results will NOT show on the public website. This is what I am seeing on all new test results. The member has to log into their kit and go to privacy settings and change the second option from what it currently shows as Members only to making both mtDNA and Y-DNA public. It is really aggravating when someone tests in your group and then you have to write them and give them detailed instructions on how to make the changes. More wasted time for us admins. I have been working up some boiler plate verbage to use. A group admin can not make the changes--only the member.

Another default is that the profile is set at private so again, nothing shows when someone clicks on their matches.

Thanks TurnerAdm
          I had no idea that if the participant choose anything other then "Anyone" option in their privacy settings that that option would then over rule the Admin's Yes Show Y DNA results option.

I have just sent Bennett Greenspan a long email explaining my frustration.
          My DNA projects are open projects with the intent of showing every participants Y DNA and SNP results in the public eye because those 2 specific projects, the Romany Gypsy DNA project and Y Haplogroup H DNA project represents a rare Y Haplogroup that is VERY understudied as a whole and to have even a couple of project participants having the ability to hide their test results defeats the purpose of the projects being open and totally viewable to the public.

When the project participant has their privacy setting to anything other then "Anyone" null and voids the Admin option of "Yes show Y DNA results, or mtDNA results in open public view projects.

I as Admin can see that participants test results yes, but the purpose of the projects is to openly share the test results and to have participants hide their test results to the public defeats the purpose of the project being an open project.

I have respectfuly requested of Bennett Greenspan to add in some coding to pop up an agreement form that the participant has to click yes on to agree to share the test results before joining an open public project, and if they do not agree to those terms they can not join that project.
          By doing that kind of agreement between FTDNA and the participant, takes the Admin of those open projects out of the equation so there can not be any misunderstandings and hurt feelings between the participants and project Admin(s).

Comment

• Donald Locke
            FTDNA Customer
            • Nov 2004

It would likely never happen, but I have to ask the "what if".

What if every project participant were to suddenly change their privacy setting to;
            Who can view my DNA results in group projects? = Project Members only option.

Anyone who then visits the DNA projects public web page and clicks on the Y DNA results would be met with zero Y DNA results, making the visitor of that project web page wrongly believe it is a dead project with zero participants because there are no visable test results.

Obviously that likely is never going to happen, but that is a serious concern because that is a real option.

Comment

• dna
              FTDNA Customer
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Donald Locke View Post
              It would likely never happen, but I have to ask the "what if".

What if every project participant were to suddenly change their privacy setting to;
              Who can view my DNA results in group projects? = Project Members only option.

Anyone who then visits the DNA projects public web page and clicks on the Y DNA results would be met with zero Y DNA results, making the visitor of that project web page wrongly believe it is a dead project with zero participants because there are no visable test results.

Obviously that likely is never going to happen, but that is a serious concern because that is a real option.
              You may add to the project description that only participants with public privacy setting are being shown .

Visitors are given the total number of project members on any landing page, but not on the results pages. That could/should be changed.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

• Donald Locke
                FTDNA Customer
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by GoofusBroadway View Post
                Item #1 -- my own kit
                I've tried to make the following changes in my own kit's settings numerous times:

-- "Who can view my most distant ancestor?" to "Share my Most Distant Ancestor with other people in projects that I've joined."

-- "Who can see me in project member lists?" to "Project Members"

I have clicked on "SAVE" until I'm blue in the face. It has never changed, and it shows no intention of doing so (i.e., clicking "save" results in NO changes in the screen... not even a flicker).

Item #2 -- a kit I manage
                I have ALL permissions set to YES on every kit I have access to. One of those kits does not show in the 12-marker lists for people he has GD=0 with, but he does show in the other match lists.

go figure.
                kathy
                Hi Kathy

"Who can see me in project member lists?" to "Project Members" needs to be changed to "Anyone" if you are wanting to share your test results in open view in a DNA project.

FTDNA told me that is the new default setting for new participants "Project Members" which hides your results even if you join a DNA project. So to share your results with the project, the setting needs to be set to "Anyone".

I am told this default setting is done intentionally for legal purposes, they are trying to avoid lawsuits.
                Most new participants honestly do not know their privacy settings are set as default to Project Members only, hiding their test results to everyone but the Admin of the projects.

So I have made a suggestion to FTDNA on how to work around this issue and will see if they can come up with a better solution one day in the future.

Comment

• GoofusBroadway
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Sep 2014

Donald,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I cannot change the setting at all. I've made these changes in other kits, but in mine, it's just not happening. Clicking on "save" results in nothing... not even a screen-flicker. It just sits there. :/

When I finally do get it to work, it will be set to "anyone".

However, now I feel a little foolish... perhaps it's because I'm not a member of any group? It just occurred to me that there aren't groups (as far as I can tell) for autosomal results.

That's probably it, huh?
                  Kathy
                  Last edited by GoofusBroadway; 25 July 2015, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• travers
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Oct 2010

There is a blog post on this issue here:

Maybe if enough people complain FTDNA will change the default setting back to where it was. As an administrator of 4 projects it is too time consuming to email new project members describing to them how to get their results to show in the project, most don't know this setting exists much less that it is now set to "Project Members" only. People already had the right to not have their results shown by either not joining the project in the first place or changing that particular setting.

If FTDNA has good reasons for making this change it would be good if Bennett sent an email outlining the changes that were made and the reasons for those changes. To simply make a major change 3 or 4 months ago and not notifying anyone of that change was wrong.

Comment

• flanged
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by travers View Post
                      There is a blog post on this issue here:

To simply make a major change 3 or 4 months ago and not notifying anyone of that change was wrong.
                      Unfortunately this happens a lot.
                      Admins need to be advised when changes are made to the functionality.
                      Not all admins read this forum.
                      The Aministrator Newsletters would be a good thing, but unfortunately they have been sporadic.

Comment

• bjmcnutt
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Apr 2017

Full permission? I'm confused how to set mine.

Originally posted by TurnerAdm View Post
                        Donald,

AHA. This is the crux of my current problem or situation. I want to allow full access to the project administrator for my kit. And I cannot figure out how to change the settings. I thought the GREEN CHECKS meant ALLOW, and the RED X meant DO NOT ALLOW. There is no clue to inform me what they really mean to my permissions.

Comment

Working...
                        X