Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > Family Finder Basics

Old 11th August 2017, 02:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Some countries poorly represented in database?

My cousin has ancestry from Finland (on his mother's side) and from Germany (on his father's side). But his DNA results are puzzling:
  • In "Family Finder - Matches" he got a TON of matches related to Finland, NONE evidently from Germany.
  • In "Y-DNA - Matches" (which should be specifically looking up his male line, the German one) he got *one* match even with distance=All, and that match was at distance 4.

This makes me wonder if there simply are few samples in the database from Germany, but many samples from Finland. Is that the case?

And if that is true (that there are few samples from Germany), is there any reason to think another vendor such as Ancestry might offer a better chance for Germany matches?

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2017, 02:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinKillion View Post
This makes me wonder if there simply are few samples in the database from Germany, but many samples from Finland. Is that the case?
That's what I've heard.

AncestryDNA doesn't ship DNA kits to Germany.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:16 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe DNA testing is banned in Germany, unless they changed stance in last 5 or so years
Old 11th August 2017, 08:27 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

It's banned in France too, isn't it? I don't know about Luxembourg.

3/4 of my mother's ancestry is from those 3 countries, but she has hardly any matches in those lines, and the ones she has are close matches, descendants of her immigrant ancestors.

I think about 90% of her matches must be related to her one grandparent who had colonial American ancestry.
Old 13th August 2017, 05:13 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielad View Post
I believe DNA testing is banned in Germany, unless they changed stance in last 5 or so years
It's not banned in Germany, but it's not real popular over there, either. I was just reading an old entry in Kitty Cooper's blog... She was saying that few Germans have tested and the vast majority of those who had, have done it with FTDNA. She also says that Living DNA is trying to get more of them to test.