Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Recreation Room

Recreation Room This is a good place for chatting about off topic subjects and just having fun together. Keep the humor PG13 and things friendly please.

Old 18th February 2018, 04:51 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=Miamio;448645]
Quote:
Good luck with all of this! I entered the Twighlight zone!
It's more like the land of reading tea leaves. Most people will believe what they want to believe, and some will believe anything they are told. The genetics are sound but the interpretation in GG is often difficult or not always useful. GG is not a substitute for traditional "paper" documentation. It can provide clues, but it does not always solve every situation.

Quote:
Many matches have no trees or private but want mine and my surnames.
Most people in today's world want to come out ahead by getting more than they give.

Quote:
Most believe if there is no common surname,why bother? We don’t match!
You realize that is not true. But since you do have a surname match, and since you also do have a genetic match, that cannot be dismissed.

Quote:
The trees have no room to alter name variations.My relatives changed theirs many times.
Some ethnic groups have so many variants of surname spellings, it's as maddening as it is astonishing. With experience you realize that phonetically the name might be the same, no matter how it is spelled.

Quote:
Trying to educate my matches nicely ended up with no responses.
You can't teach anyone who is unwilling to learn. No one can.

Quote:
You need to learn the browser and calculate/compare,people.
I am about to,give up with the match thing altogether.
What exactly is your goal in this?

Last edited by Carpathian; 18th February 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 5th March 2018, 01:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before. When I look at FamilyFinder Matches, I see that many matches have a list of surnames, but do not show a family tree. I'm wondering how FTDNA determines surnames for people who don't post a family tree? Does that mean that the surnames were actually entered by the person who owns that kit, or is there some other algorithm that FTDNA uses to produce the surname list? Or do those people have a hidden family tree that contains those surnames?
I think that the person enters his/her ancestral surnames.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

The list of surnames is added by the person who has tested or by the person in control of the test. It is a long and laborious process to manually enter each family name along with the location, so many don't do it. And many people keep their working tree on another site. I have a tree of about 6,000 people over at Ancestry, but here I keep only a strictly bare bones pedigree tree of about 250 individual names. I don't normally add anything to that tree unless I find another distant ancestor's name.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keigh View Post
The list of surnames is added by the person who has tested or by the person in control of the test. It is a long and laborious process to manually enter each family name along with the location, so many don't do it.
I don't agree about it being long and laborious. Most people who don't enter surnames and locations don't post any tree, either. IMO they either don't know their ancestral surnames, or they don't know how to enter them, or they are lazy or uncaring. To me it is one of the best features of FTDNA and it is annoying that relatively few here do it.