Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 28th June 2017, 06:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

New login page?

Of all of the things we need on FTDNA, such as a way to order our Y project SUBGROUPING participants together by PAN, and In Common WITH tool spasming,the waste of programming time to produce a generic "smiling face"s login page, requiring a new bookmark, does not warm my heart.
There are too many things we need more! Does FTDNA need to look like FamilySearch?

Last edited by clintonslayton76; 28th June 2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 28th June 2017, 06:51 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Just read all the posts on the forum about all the problems and all the things that aren't working, and this is what they do with their time!!!
Old 28th June 2017, 08:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

new sign-in page design - dissident view

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonslayton76 View Post
... Does FTDNA need to look like FamilySearch? ...
Yeah, kinda. If it looks slick and attractive on the outside it might attract still more people, and perhaps some real matches, which would be a great favor to people who are adopted and to those who have few, if any, real matches. (Of course the very people attracted to shiny and commercial might not answer e-mails, so ... who knows?)
Old 28th June 2017, 08:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuelita View Post
Yeah, kinda. If it looks slick and attractive on the outside it might attract still more people
But it's the login page, by its definition it is for people who are already customers.

I can see why a slicker front page for the site and, perhaps, the sales page might bring in more customers but I can't imagine there being a huge demand for a better looking login page. What we need is a functional one and the current change degrades that so...
Old 28th June 2017, 10:57 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conat View Post
But it's the login page, by its definition it is for people who are already customers.
You and we know that, but the administration and their staff doesn't understand that. Someone on their staff was told to redesign the login page. And so they did, and they collected their salary. This sort of redesign is common in most large businesses. It amounts to imposing change for the sake of change, but not of any improvement of anything.

I manage 3 accounts here. Today I tried to log in as usual. It was asking for my "GAP Username". "GAP" is three letters of alphabet soup. No explanation of "GAP" is provided. What does it mean? Apparently only the genius who designed the new page knows what that acronym means.

I entered my site name but it didn't accept it. I had to request my kit number by e-mail, because although it had always been accessible before, it no longer automatically appeared to make the login simple.

Obviously this redesign benefited the person on the payroll who designed the new page, but not those of us who have to use it. There is a GAP here indeed. Can we call this pseudo-progress? I don't know what "GAP" means, but I do know what BS is.
Old 29th June 2017, 01:08 AM

Heck, I'm a project administrator, and I'm not sure if the "P" in GAP means project or page, but The "GA" means "Group Administrator". Some group administrators manage large public Y-DNA projects or mtDNA projects, some manage small private family projects. Some of us, who manage the kits of a lot of family members, applied to be group administrators just so we could log in to all our kits at once with one password.
Old 29th June 2017, 01:12 AM

But I agree that the term "GAP Username" is going to puzzle many customers, who will think they have lost, or never received, something that they are supposed to have.

Group administrators had a separate sign in page until now. And that was a much better idea, in my opinion.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:15 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
But I agree that the term "GAP Username" is going to puzzle many customers, who will think they have lost, or never received, something that they are supposed to have.
Using an acryonym when no definition has been previously or currently provided is shortsighted to say the least. It amounts to "in group" speak among the cognoscenti of the design team, with no regard for the end user.
Old 29th June 2017, 04:28 PM
FTDNA Customer

You're right, the new page is bizarre! And in this time of fake news, fake websites, spam, ransomeware, and phishing, all those gratuitous smiles from people who mean nothing to me does not inspire confidence.
Old 29th June 2017, 04:41 PM

I don't like all those photos. The former GAP sign in page was completely blank, except for two boxes, one for the ID and one for the password, just about like 23andMe's current sign-in page for their customers. That's all that's necessary.