Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced

Paternal Lineage (Y-DNA STR) Advanced Users can exchange information here on Y-DNA testing, results, and questions.

Old 7th May 2013, 10:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Could my Ydna results still be loading?

I received a message today that my Dad's ydna test was complete. I checked for matches but there are none when I click on Matches or Advanced Matching.

However, when I click on Ydna Ancestral Origins under genetic distance -1 it gives country: United States, Match Total: 2, country Total: 2563, and Percentage: 0.1%. Does this mean I have 2 matches that aren't showing up in my match list?
Old 9th May 2013, 02:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

I believe that the ancestral origins population are used just to show where people with similar STR markers have been found in the world. They are not necessarily people who wish to be contacted or even have public profiles. It is sort of anonymous reference database. So it is quite different than Y DNA matching. By the way your father is not alone, I have never had an exact match at any marker level for two years. I have a handful of 1 step difference matches at 12 markers and zero step difference matches after that.
Old 13th May 2013, 02:03 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

My Dad has no matches at any level. But he doesn't have any under Ancestral Origins either.
Old 13th May 2013, 02:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
My Dad has no matches at any level. But he doesn't have any under Ancestral Origins either.
I see your most distant ancestor was from Itlay . I think it fair to say the Populations of several European countries , including italy , are under represented in the various databases. Likely this Is the same reason I have no matches.
Old 13th May 2013, 03:33 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunetmj View Post
I see your most distant ancestor was from Itlay . I think it fair to say the Populations of several European countries , including italy , are under represented in the various databases. Likely this Is the same reason I have no matches.
I think that is probably the case. Dad did the 37 marker test and received a free backbone test. I haven't been able to find out much about his paternal line.
Old 15th May 2013, 07:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Matches with genetic distance -1 at 12 markers don't show in the "Matches" menu.
However, if you join some project and they are members as well, their names and contact emails may become visible if they are not with hidden profiles.
You have best chances joining the J2-M172 project:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...20DNA%20group/