Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Universal Lineage Testing (Autosomal DNA) > myOrigins Basics

Old 20th June 2017, 07:25 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah's Kids View Post
Hello all,
I am new to the forums, but not new to Family Tree DNA.
I was shocked to find "My Orgins" putting all my non British Isles DNA in one lump, in Italy and Greece, or Southern Europe.
This couldn't be more wrong and still be within Europe. My non British grandparents were Dutch, not Italian. Their names are Weiss and Wise. I have cousins in Germany and Holland, so how did our origins end up in Italy?
When I put the raw data into GEDmatch, the results came back accurate. Why?
May I ask which GEDmatch applicant you ran that gave you better information?
Old 20th June 2017, 08:01 PM
mtDNA: K1a3 | Y-DNA: R-L1308*

Genetic genealogy blogger Roberta Estes has posted today an analysis of how her actual well-researched paper genealogy compares with what has been predicted by all the vendors with which she has tested (23andMe version 4, Ancestry version 2, Family Tree DNA, Geno 2, Living DNA, and MyHeritage): "Which Ethnicity Test is Best?"

It is a worthwhile read for those unhappy with their bioethnicity results at whatever company.
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:05 AM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for the above reply. Just today I received my report from Living DNA which showed smaller, but still visible ancestry from So. Europe and No. Turkey. I think there may be some there there.
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:02 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATM View Post
Genetic genealogy blogger Roberta Estes has posted today an analysis of how her actual well-researched paper genealogy compares with what has been predicted by all the vendors with which she has tested (23andMe version 4, Ancestry version 2, Family Tree DNA, Geno 2, Living DNA, and MyHeritage): "Which Ethnicity Test is Best?"

It is a worthwhile read for those unhappy with their bioethnicity results at whatever company.
The problem with using only her DNA results and her genealogy she can't see that myOrigins 2.0 has a higher rate of not matching the genealogical record when the results of a lot of kits with well documented genealogy are used. Sufficient sample size is of utter importance for a proper review of the different companies.
Old 23rd June 2017, 02:30 AM
FTDNA Customer

MyOrigins 2.0

Estimators at best work at the continental level. People get upset when there's more of British than their beloved Scandinavian, or vice versa, overlooking the fact that both groups are nearly identical, only differentiating in the past 1000 years, and British folks becoming more diverse. Angles, Saxons and Jutes were from the NW continental coast across from Scandinavia. In fact, their languages were closely related to Scandinavian languages.

Also, people expect to match specific countries, when the reality is that countries are political designations, not genetic boundaries. So when I show up as 8% Italy/Greece on some calculator, I don't shout - "Oh, I had no idea I was Italian or maybe Greek!!!" Instead, I think, "Hmm, some of my ancestors were similar to Italians/Greeks." I've gone back 500 years and not one Italian/Greek, but I accept the fact that some of my ancestors were genetically similar to Italians. I also show up on MyHeritage as being 0.8% Central American. You can bank on this -I'm not remotely Central American (family from Europe). However, I accept the fact that my DNA could be 0.8% similar to a Central American. We're humans, after all, there's overlap, etc etc. Besides, it's not a high amount. When I first saw an unexpected ethnicity show up, I wondered "Who done it?" Then I realized, all estimators are is a way of showing similarity, ancestry itself needs to be documented.

While I've learned quite a bit from Roberta Estes and genetic genealogy, I consider many of her opinions re: ethnicity estimators to be quite biased. For one thing, she's a consultant for FTDNA. Given her excessive praise for 2.0 matching her own estimates, one wonders if she was brought in to help define the ethnicities specifically to do that - match her own ethnicities.
Old 20th July 2017, 08:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

It's a mistake to take My Origins seriously

Have any other sets of several siblings compared their results? The My Origins results for me and 3 of my brothers are wildly different from each other (and yes, we really are full siblings, at least according to both Family Finder and my parents!). The results are right in some respects (for example, none of us shows any African or New World ancestry), but they are really a very, very rough estimate at best.

Of course, we each got different mixtures of DNA from each parent, but we all, of course, have identical ancestry. Among the four of us, our percentages range from 11% to 79% British Isles, 3% to 32% Scandinavia, 0% to 46% Western and Central Europe, and 0% to 20% Southeast Europe. All over the map, so to speak! One of us shows up with 4% Asia Minor and one with 17% Iberia; the rest of us have neither. (We are in fact predominantly Scots Irish, English, German, and Alsatian, with bits of French, Welsh, Cornish, and Swiss thrown in, going back on most lines to early Colonial times.) My Origins clearly has a very tough time distinguishing between the British Isles, Scandinavia, and the rest of Europe -- it appears to be pretty much a crapshoot.

On the other hand, My Origins does pick up on our 1/16 Jewish ancestry, with percentages of 0%, 3%, 4%, and 5%, though these percentages don't correlate too well with the numbers of Jewish matches each of us have.

Last edited by susan_dakin; 20th July 2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo