Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 4th July 2018, 05:27 PM
R-M269

Unknown GGrandfather

I have taken Y-67 and Y-111 tests to identify my Paternal Surname - my Grandfather was illegitimate and therefore has his Mother's name. I hope one day it may, with a Paper Trail, lead me to my Great Grandfather.

Y-67 showed 5 matches, 3 of which were Burke at GD5.
Y-111 showed one of these had tested at GD7.

Is it likely that GD7 is close enough for a Surname match?

They appear to be from 2 families as Contacts are different. Neither responded to eMails.

Although I live in hope that somebody may eventually produce a better match, is there a suggestion at what else I can do? I have also done a FF Test and uploaded to GEDmatch.

Is it worth joining a Project (I am R-M269 which I believe is common) or any other options?
Old 4th July 2018, 07:39 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagian View Post
I have taken Y-67 and Y-111 tests to identify my Paternal Surname - my Grandfather was illegitimate and therefore has his Mother's name. I hope one day it may, with a Paper Trail, lead me to my Great Grandfather.

Y-67 showed 5 matches, 3 of which were Burke at GD5.
Y-111 showed one of these had tested at GD7.

Is it likely that GD7 is close enough for a Surname match?

They appear to be from 2 families as Contacts are different. Neither responded to eMails.

Although I live in hope that somebody may eventually produce a better match, is there a suggestion at what else I can do? I have also done a FF Test and uploaded to GEDmatch.

Is it worth joining a Project (I am R-M269 which I believe is common) or any other options?
I would spend a little time with the Family Finder test results, you may find cousins who could eventually fill in some of the blanks.

Be patient. Perhaps your relative has not yet tested.