• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ech124
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2011

V5 Chip

Apparently 23andme has just started giving new results based on their customized V5 chip.

My question is has anyone successfully transferred to FTDNA using that file (it has V5 right in the file name)?

I know that for a while FTDNA allowed V3, but not V4. They had to do special programming to allow V4. Now that there is V5, will that be rejected also?
  • ech124
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2011

I am hearing some more information about the V5 chip.

It just came into production at 23andme this week. It will take an unknown period of time to replace every machine, but it will happen.

Someone uploaded the new file to Gedmatch, and based on comparing it to a FTDNA file there, there was only about 159000 SNPs in common. Based on that, I think there is no way FTDNA can do anything with a V5 transfer. That will mean a decline in 23andme transfers as their database eventually becomes V5 dominated.

Comment

• georgian1950
      FTDNA Customer
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by ech124 View Post
      I am hearing some more information about the V5 chip.

It just came into production at 23andme this week. It will take an unknown period of time to replace every machine, but it will happen.

Someone uploaded the new file to Gedmatch, and based on comparing it to a FTDNA file there, there was only about 159000 SNPs in common. Based on that, I think there is no way FTDNA can do anything with a V5 transfer. That will mean a decline in 23andme transfers as their database eventually becomes V5 dominated.
      That does not bode well for GEDmatch, or quite frankly for autosomal matching in general.

Jack

Comment

• georgian1950
        FTDNA Customer
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
        That does not bode well for GEDmatch, or quite frankly for autosomal matching in general.

Jack
        Interestingly, GEDmatch has added this on its homepage:

"Aug 10 2017 NOTICE to 23andMe Customers: 23andMe is now using the GSA chip for their new V5 raw DNA file results. This format is not compatible with the regular GEDmatch upload, but can be used with the GEDmatch Genesis upload. Use the link in the lower right column of this page."

Comment

• mcornejo
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jul 2014

I tested in 23andme and was not able to import their V5 chip raw results in FTDNA. I went on the new GEDmatch tool, Genesis, where I have imported my FTDNA Family Finder results, uploaded 23andme V5 results, and when comparing to my FTDNA FF kit, the "Overlap" field returns a value of 159,751, whilst when comparing my FTDNA FF kit to my parents', the "Overlap" value is higher up to 680,568. "Overlap" is defined by GEDmatch as the number of positions that exist in common between both kits, without regard to whether they match or not.

Doing a quick visual inspection, I can notice that for other 23andme kits, the Overlap is higher in excess of 300,000, perhaps pre V5 kits, and for Ancestry.com in excess of 400,000.

Comment

• oleg.meier
            FTDNA Customer
            • May 2018

I've just converted V5 to V4 with

First converted to genome.db than back to 23andme. upload successfull

Comment

• prairielad
              FTDNA Customer
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by oleg.meier View Post
              I've just converted V5 to V4 with

First converted to genome.db than back to 23andme. upload successfull
              Believe above imputes values, personally I think it would be just be better to spend the $79 for Family Finder and receive the actual tested and verified SNPs) vs imputed ones (up to 540000 imputed SNPS)

Last edited by prairielad; 28 May 2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X