Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 6th July 2018, 12:19 AM
FTDNA Customer

Add a Feature on myFamilyTree Allowing Users to Export the Information as a GEDCOM

I would love to be able to export the genealogical information that I have entered in myFamilyTree to a GEDCOM. Perhaps in the near future, FamilyTreeDNA could add that feature to its "family tree building" system.
Old 6th July 2018, 06:10 AM
R-BY39877

My personal opinion is that you would be MUCH better off using a genealogy program on your computer to maintain your information. This gives you full control of your data. It would be much easier to make corrections and additions. You could create your own GEDCOMs which could replace what you have at FTDNA.

There a several free genealogy programs you can use to do this. Any of them will do much more than FTDNA will provide.

Let FTDNA do what they do best. Test your DNA and look for matches. Let a company that builds genealogy programs provide your genealogy program.
Old 6th July 2018, 06:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
My personal opinion is that you would be MUCH better off using a genealogy program on your computer to maintain your information. This gives you full control of your data. It would be much easier to make corrections and additions. You could create your own GEDCOMs which could replace what you have at FTDNA.

There a several free genealogy programs you can use to do this. Any of them will do much more than FTDNA will provide.

Let FTDNA do what they do best. Test your DNA and look for matches. Let a company that builds genealogy programs provide your genealogy program.
Agreed!

It is far more reliable to use a genealogy program on your own computer and not through FTDNA's family tree tool. For various reasons such as: security and various tools that come with using a verified personal genealogy program (Reunion for Apple, Legacy Family Tree Maker, Family Historian, Gramps, etc).
Old 6th July 2018, 08:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony H View Post
I would love to be able to export the genealogical information that I have entered in myFamilyTree to a GEDCOM. Perhaps in the near future, FamilyTreeDNA could add that feature to its "family tree building" system.
You might be able to do this with 3rd party software, although it might take a little work and I've never tried this.

First you would convert your myFamilyTree to Ahnentafel format with this tool you download into your Chrome browser:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kfliochkojkaej

Then you would need to convert the Ahnentafel file into a Gedcom using this tool:
http://blog.kittycooper.com/2015/12/...com-converter/
Old 11th July 2018, 01:38 PM
FTDNA Customer

No it does not work at FTDNA - DNArboretum

First you would convert your myFamilyTree to Ahnentafel format with this tool you download into your Chrome browser:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kfliochkojkaej

Then you would need to convert the Ahnentafel file into a Gedcom using this tool:
http://blog.kittycooper.com/2015/12/...com-converter/[/QUOTE]

Old 11th July 2018, 02:42 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
No it does not work at FTDNA - DNArboretum
I've had the DNArboretum tool since it came out, it works for me at FTDNA.
Old 12th July 2018, 01:26 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

I don't think anyone should have their main research on an online tree. You should have it in a genealogy program on your computer. RootsMagic has a free version you can download and try to see if you like it. I believe there are several others that have free trials or versions. Download 2 or 3 and see which one you like best.