Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics

mtDNA - Haplogroup & Origins Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 30th January 2014, 01:06 PM
FTDNA Customer

The Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) Haplogroup H & HV Project

I have recently been reassigned in the subject group to "H11a - T5162C new predictive subbranch." There are two of us in this category (see attachment). I contacted the administrator for more data but have not received a response. Any thoughts on this?

Time Traveler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subbranch DNA.jpg (36.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:32 AM
FTDNA Customer

What exactly is your question?

New groups are assigned when 3 or more MtDNA FMS results (not known to be closely related) are made public. Note many of the results are added when new research papers are released to the public.
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:15 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetick View Post
What exactly is your question?

New groups are assigned when 3 or more MtDNA FMS results (not known to be closely related) are made public. Note many of the results are added when new research papers are released to the public.
Sorry for not being more precise in my post. I was looking for information to explain why I was put into the stated category. I don't understand your statement "New groups are assigned when 3 or more MtDNA FMS results (not known to be closely related) are made public." What does "made public" mean? And why would FMS results not known to be closely related be put into the same new group? And, sorry for being so dense. I am not new to DNA; just do not have the time necessary to become more knowledgeable. Thanks for your response.
Old 6th February 2014, 12:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

"H11a - T5162C new predictive subbranch" indicates a new daughter group (aka "subclade") of H11a that includes people who share an extra mutation T5162C. This new group does not have an official name because it is not yet in Phylotree.

Several samples of this group would have to be published in GenBank, the research database, before a name is assigned to this group. Currently there is only one sample in GenBank: GU945760.
Old 6th February 2014, 12:42 AM
FTDNA Customer

Hopefully the H11 volunteer responds with more details, but just to add a bit more explanation - the person included with you in this new group is assigned by FTDNA to H11 because they lack A16293G which is one of the two definitions that currently define H11a. It is possible that this is a recent back mutation in that person's maternal line. If they were assigned to H11a, they would be listed as a 1-step match with you in the full sequence. Because of the smart matching approach used, your close FMS matches are only shown if they are in your exact subclade (that is, a 1-step match who is assigned to H11 will not be included in your match list). This approach usually works well, but in cases where people are not assigned to the correct subclade because of a back mutation, close matches can be excluded from your match list.

I'd recommend emailing the H11 volunteer again and asking them to forward an email from you to your close match.
Old 6th February 2014, 10:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

Gail - thank you so much for the explanation. It is more than I hoped for. I will indeed do as you suggested.
Old 6th February 2014, 11:41 AM
FTDNA Customer

AND, the GU945760 in Genbank you mentioned is me. I've been an orphan for such a long time. My earliest-known ancestor is Margaret Lasaway (Lashua/LaJoie) born in New York State. Her father was at least half French Canadian but we do not know his name, and her mother is unknown as well. I must belong to someone out there.

Last edited by Time Traveler; 6th February 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11th July 2018, 12:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

My sisters boyfriend was also adopted in New York where he still lives. He believes his birth name was Lashua & he is looking for his family! That will be so awesome if ya'll are brothers! This is an old thread but I hope you see this message. I think he is going to get tested here at FTDNA now. at least you can confirm a close relationship & if so reunite! Sent a PM also.