Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 28th February 2018, 04:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

When will BAM files become available again?

Anyone have any idea when BAM files will become available for the Big Y analysis now that the Hg38 upgrade has completed (mostly completed)? I ordered my Big Y back in December and the results came out within the last week or so. I have downloaded the VCF file, but am just curious if anyone knows a timeline for when FTDNA will be able to produce a BAM file.
Old 1st March 2018, 06:15 AM
BetAdams

Have you downloaded the VCF file to YFull ?

They are accepting and assessing the VCF file -with payment of the fee- and will update the results at no additional cost when the BAM file becomes available and is forwarded to them.

In the meantime you have the results !
Old 1st March 2018, 08:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betadams View Post
Have you downloaded the VCF file to YFull ?

They are accepting and assessing the VCF file -with payment of the fee- and will update the results at no additional cost when the BAM file becomes available and is forwarded to them.

In the meantime you have the results !
Yes, I did upload the VCF to YFull. Just wondering if anyone had any idea when FTDNA would make the BAM files available, as well.
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:07 AM
BetAdams

The last I heard was "they will notify us when they are ready"
Old 2nd April 2018, 06:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

I find completely unacceptable that, after paying for a Big Y and disk space being so cheap now, BAM generating is not available. At least they could make it available for one or two weeks so that you can do something with it for that period.
Very, very disappointed with FTDNA.
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:26 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyodongo View Post
I find completely unacceptable that, after paying for a Big Y and disk space being so cheap now, BAM generating is not available. At least they could make it available for one or two weeks so that you can do something with it for that period.
Very, very disappointed with FTDNA.
Of course, I have no idea about the true nature of the delays, but I am finding "disk space" an extremely unlikely reason for the delay.

Limitations of "computing power" (as it always takes a finite time to redo calculations) would be much more likely.

FTDNA appears to be doing something, and until that something is announced we can only assume that some new algorithms are being tested and tuned.

Mr. W.
Old 4th April 2018, 02:18 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Of course, I have no idea about the true nature of the delays, but I am finding "disk space" an extremely unlikely reason for the delay.

Limitations of "computing power" (as it always takes a finite time to redo calculations) would be much more likely.

FTDNA appears to be doing something, and until that something is announced we can only assume that some new algorithms are being tested and tuned.

Mr. W.
I think this is correct. I've asked them why my results and others' don't seem to square with yfull, and I never get an answer.

On the other hand, yfull publishes its methodology. Not to say it isn't still somewhat cryptic at times (e.g. SNP match numbers wildly fluctuating in a short amount of time, among other things), but overall they give you a sense of what it is they're doing.

https://www.yfull.com/faq/what-yfull...s-methodology/

I'm not sure, and there could be another explanation, but it seems like the quality of the results might also be a problem.

For instance, my .vcf has no info on a branching marker downstream. As a result, yfull appears not to know what branch my downstream positive markers pertain to. It could be an existing branch or a new one.

Downstream of the clade I'm in, I see that read quality is poor. I test positive on certain markers based on 1, 2, or 3 reads. My understanding is that normally these would not count as positive, but if two people in the same branch share the result, even if it's only based on a few reads, then it can be assumed to be real.

It doesn't appear that this cross-referencing is happening correctly, as on the ftdna SNP tree I am on my own branch, but on yfull I clearly share a lot of markers downstream with some people. Perhaps all these 1-, 2-, or 3-read markers are the root of the problem.

Last edited by FuriousGeorge; 4th April 2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 5th April 2018, 12:14 PM
mtDNA: | Big Y Pending

I'd like to know what the BigY hangup is. In my project with
lots an lots of BigYs all the people to be redone are redone, except the BAMs. All the people who ordered before Jan. 2, 2018 are now done, except BAMs. Only three people, very recent, are left undone. Are there projects with redos left undone (except BAMs and dead people with exhausted samples who failed quality control in the redo)?

Is the problem dead people with exhausted samples?

They make the bad excuse that the BAM is "online". This is bad because there may be important SNPs that they won't let you get to to check, as well as not giving out all the information that's in each and every read in a BAM.
Old 6th April 2018, 01:34 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
They make the bad excuse that the BAM is "online". This is bad because there may be important SNPs that they won't let you get to to check, as well as not giving out all the information that's in each and every read in a BAM.
Also, if you ask them to clarify a particular SNP, they don't respond. I don't think it's too harsh to say that we don't really have results yet.

In my professional experience, I've found that when companies don't respond to e-mails, it's because they don't wanna go on the record with what's wrong.

On the other hand, the checkout process always works flawlessly. No one can accuse them of being bad at taking payments.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:21 PM
FTDNA Customer

BAM files - No headway

Quote:
Originally Posted by betadams View Post
The last I heard was "they will notify us when they are ready"
April 8th and still get: "Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, BAM files are not being produced right now. We will send a notification once BAM files will be available again. I apologize for the inconvenience."

No timeframe mentioned and this has been this way for months.
Poor customer service.