Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Paternal Lineages (Y-DNA) > BIG Y and SNP Discovery

BIG Y and SNP Discovery This area is for talk about BIG Y results.

Old 9th December 2017, 10:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Big Y matches

My members have just started doing Big Y tests so I don't really know much about it.

One of my project members, who does not share the surname with the group, has 7 Big Y matches, none of which is our surname. His matches are of 5 different surnames one a variant of the other. I am thinking he should give up on our surname and concentrate on these matches?
Old 10th December 2017, 07:33 AM
FTDNA Customer

If your "odd" member has any Scandinavian paternal ancestry this would be quite normal. The traditional Scandinavian naming convention change surname every generation.
Old 11th December 2017, 08:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

With such a small group of matches, it is hard to draw good conclusions. His paternal line could have changed surnames more than once. A lot can happen even in the last few hundred years, let alone further back. His Big Y matches could still be very distant and therefore not relevant for what he is looking for.

One general indicator is the number of unnamed variants he has. If he has a handful or less his matches my be more recent. If he has like 10, 20, etc. The matches are distant. New variants (SNPs) don't come out every generation, and some variants may be unreliable. Basically, it depends.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:25 AM
R-BY39877

My cousin's Big-Y "Matching" page lists R-P312, R-Y18211, R-BY12146, R-BY12147 and R-BY12150. Each one followed by a value of 1.

His only named match has R-P312, R-Y18211, R-BY12146, R-BY12147 and R-BY12150. Each one followed by a value of 1, except R-P312 which is followed by 2.

If his match has 2 matches at R-P312, why doesn't my cousin?
Old 12th December 2017, 07:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Ellis View Post
My members have just started doing Big Y tests so I don't really know much about it.

One of my project members, who does not share the surname with the group, has 7 Big Y matches, none of which is our surname. His matches are of 5 different surnames one a variant of the other. I am thinking he should give up on our surname and concentrate on these matches?
Are you also saying the others don't show as matches from the BigY testing but that they show as matches to each other? If so, STR testing of 67 or more markers should have already indicated that they don't have a common ancestor in a genealogical timeframe which is when surnames were more common in western Europe outside of Scandinavia. Iberia is also a bit different at times but I doubt that you are talking about a Scandinavian or Iberian surname.

Last edited by Armando; 12th December 2017 at 07:13 PM.