Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 19th January 2016, 12:51 AM
FTDNA Customer

How many people have found a biological parent via family finder?

I am new to family tree and just wondered how many people have actually found a biological parent using family finder? I am still waiting for my test results but, a little background on me- I only know my biological mother'8s family. I am really just looking for ethnicity so I know what I am and where I come from but, if I happen to find any of my biological father's family, then that would just be a welcomed bonus!
Old 19th January 2016, 01:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

There have certainly been a few, but statistically it's a long shot. Stay positive.

Below is post from a few years ago.
http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=33178
http://adoptiondna.blogspot.com/2013...mother-by.html

and another
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...tracks-3691421

Last edited by thetick; 19th January 2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 20th January 2016, 03:17 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanWoods View Post
I am new to family tree and just wondered how many people have actually found a biological parent using family finder? I am still waiting for my test results but, a little background on me- I only know my biological mother'8s family. I am really just looking for ethnicity so I know what I am and where I come from but, if I happen to find any of my biological father's family, then that would just be a welcomed bonus!
Not a parent, but definitely a relative, turns out to be a 1/2 3rd cousin to my mother. My mom is now 72 and I found the connection last July, didn't get in touch with relatives until late October. Of course the chances of my mother's parents being alive were slim but I knew that.

There is hope, you just have to work at finding the right matches.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:18 PM
Y-DNA: R-FGC41890 mtDNA: H49a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanWoods View Post
You might be interested in reading the book Finding Family by Richard Hill, which documents his search for his biological relatives including how DNA testing with FTDNA helped: http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Family.../dp/1475190832 Richard Hill also has a good website that may be a useful resource as well: http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/
Old 20th January 2016, 09:40 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thank you for all of your feedback. I am not holding my breath on finding my biological father but, if I find any relatives on his side, that's a step closer to knowing something, right?

And at least I will know my own background, finally.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:41 PM
FTDNA Customer

And thank you, David. I will look into that book!
Old 21st January 2016, 03:39 AM
FTDNA Customer

I am also hoping to find out something about my birth father. I tested about 2 years ago and found out he was Swedish and British Isles, which is interesting to me. Once your results are in, remember to upload them to gedmatch to increase your exposure to other people that have tested with other companies.
Old 21st January 2016, 03:22 PM
FTDNA Customer

I found my adopted grandmother's birth family She was born in 1891. It can be done.
Old 23rd January 2016, 04:29 AM
FTDNA Customer

Talking Searching for my father

I've been searching for my GI father for at least 25 years but have started the DNA route after hitting a brick wall - and discovered I'm a Cartmill afer a series of Y results. I'm awaiting autosomal test results, and the researchers from GI Trace here in the UK are hopeful of a successful outcome. DNA testing has revolutionised the field. Just never give up - that's what I would say to all those in our position. I'm lucky that the Cartmill family lines have deep roots in the US and have been extensively researched, thanks to people like Don Sticher. It's also a comparatively unusual surname.
Dreams do come true.
Old 23rd January 2016, 11:21 AM
FTDNA Customer

I would say that it is definitely possible and keep at it. However I am wondering if it is actually easier to find an ancestor on the level of say a great grandparent. If you are looking for a birth parent, the pool of people who need to test to show that person as a MRCA is much smaller than if you are looking at a MRCA a few generations back. At least that is the way I see it. I wonder if people who have been into genetic genealogy for a while agree with me on that. Still finding common ancestors further back may provide useful clues, but you have to be careful that they are not taking you down the path of a more distant relationship.

Some luck is involved with whatever you are looking for, but perseverance will create luck. Hoping that you are successful in your search.

Jack