How many people have found a biological parent via family finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShanWoods
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jan 2016

How many people have found a biological parent via family finder?

I am new to family tree and just wondered how many people have actually found a biological parent using family finder? I am still waiting for my test results but, a little background on me- I only know my biological mother'8s family. I am really just looking for ethnicity so I know what I am and where I come from but, if I happen to find any of my biological father's family, then that would just be a welcomed bonus!
  • thetick
    FTDNA Customer
    • Jul 2010

There have certainly been a few, but statistically it's a long shot. Stay positive.

Below is post from a few years ago.

As many of you know, I always recommend that adoptees "fish in all three ponds" for close relatives. This means getting your DNA into ea...

and another
    Michelle's mother dumped her inside a carrier bag at a block of flats on a cold November evening, but has always wanted to meet her birth parents
    Last edited by thetick; 19 January 2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• mamoahina
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ShanWoods View Post
      I am new to family tree and just wondered how many people have actually found a biological parent using family finder? I am still waiting for my test results but, a little background on me- I only know my biological mother'8s family. I am really just looking for ethnicity so I know what I am and where I come from but, if I happen to find any of my biological father's family, then that would just be a welcomed bonus!
      Not a parent, but definitely a relative, turns out to be a 1/2 3rd cousin to my mother. My mom is now 72 and I found the connection last July, didn't get in touch with relatives until late October. Of course the chances of my mother's parents being alive were slim but I knew that.

There is hope, you just have to work at finding the right matches.

Comment

• David Guetta
        Y-DNA: R-FGC41890 mtDNA: H49a1
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by ShanWoods View Post
        You might be interested in reading the book Finding Family by Richard Hill, which documents his search for his biological relatives including how DNA testing with FTDNA helped: http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Family.../dp/1475190832 Richard Hill also has a good website that may be a useful resource as well: http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/

Comment

• ShanWoods
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jan 2016

Thank you for all of your feedback. I am not holding my breath on finding my biological father but, if I find any relatives on his side, that's a step closer to knowing something, right?

And at least I will know my own background, finally.

Comment

• ShanWoods
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jan 2016

And thank you, David. I will look into that book!

Comment

• 1/2finn
              FTDNA Customer
              • Nov 2014

I am also hoping to find out something about my birth father. I tested about 2 years ago and found out he was Swedish and British Isles, which is interesting to me. Once your results are in, remember to upload them to gedmatch to increase your exposure to other people that have tested with other companies.

Comment

• Cats
                FTDNA Customer
                • Oct 2006

I found my adopted grandmother's birth family She was born in 1891. It can be done.

Comment

• DaveyUK
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jan 2016

Searching for my father

I've been searching for my GI father for at least 25 years but have started the DNA route after hitting a brick wall - and discovered I'm a Cartmill afer a series of Y results. I'm awaiting autosomal test results, and the researchers from GI Trace here in the UK are hopeful of a successful outcome. DNA testing has revolutionised the field. Just never give up - that's what I would say to all those in our position. I'm lucky that the Cartmill family lines have deep roots in the US and have been extensively researched, thanks to people like Don Sticher. It's also a comparatively unusual surname.
                  Dreams do come true.

Comment

• georgian1950
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2012

I would say that it is definitely possible and keep at it. However I am wondering if it is actually easier to find an ancestor on the level of say a great grandparent. If you are looking for a birth parent, the pool of people who need to test to show that person as a MRCA is much smaller than if you are looking at a MRCA a few generations back. At least that is the way I see it. I wonder if people who have been into genetic genealogy for a while agree with me on that. Still finding common ancestors further back may provide useful clues, but you have to be careful that they are not taking you down the path of a more distant relationship.

Some luck is involved with whatever you are looking for, but perseverance will create luck. Hoping that you are successful in your search.

Jack

Comment

• Anett
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Mar 2016

Not parent, but I found a grandfather. First I found out (surprise!) that the official one, wasn't my biological grandfather. Then after some time, I'm 99,99% sure I have the right one. I wish I knew more about him though.

Comment

• mkdexter
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Dec 2009

Has anyone found a birth parent? Yes. I have. I haven't been on this forum for a long time now, but I thought I would check around a bit and I saw this question.

Yes I found my birth father using DNA tests and lots of work. I'll write up something about it around October and share the story.

I will add. I had no name to go on, no records to use, no surprise match to a parent, nothing. The entire find was due to DNA test results.

Matt.
                        Last edited by mkdexter; 31 August 2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• similligan
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Oct 2010

Congratulations, Matt. I'm looking forward to hearing the story.

Susan

Comment

• mkdexter
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Dec 2009

thanks Susan.

Comment

• Darren
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jun 2007

Good to see you back Matt. I was wondering what happened, hope you are well.

-Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X