Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Scientific Papers

Scientific Papers For talk of scientific papers on population genetics, archaeology, and anthropology related to DNA and personal ancestry testing.

Old 25th February 2014, 08:52 AM
mtDNA: J1c3i

Recent Radiation within Y-chromosomal Haplogroup R-M269 Resulted in High Y-STR Haplot

Recent Radiation within Y-chromosomal Haplogroup R-M269 Resulted in High Y-STR Haplotype Resemblance

Quote:
Summary
Y-chromosomal short tandem repeats (Y-STRs) are often used in addition to Y-chromosomal single-nucleotide polymorphisms (Y-SNP) to detect subtle patterns in a population genetic structure. There are, however, indications for Y-STR haplotype resemblance across different subhaplogroups within haplogroup R1b1b2 (R-M269) which may lead to erosion in the observation of the population genetic pattern. Hence the question arises whether Y-STR haplotypes are still informative beyond high-resolution Y-SNP genotyping for population genetic studies. To address this question, we genotyped the Y chromosomes of more than 1000 males originating from the West-European regions of Flanders (Belgium), North-Brabant and Limburg (the Netherlands) at the highest resolution of the current Y-SNP tree together with 38 commonly used Y-STRs. We observed high resemblance of Y-STR haplotypes between males belonging to different subhaplogroups of haplogroup R-M269. Several subhaplogroups within R-M269 could not be distinguished from each other based on differences in Y-STR haplotype variation. The most likely hypothesis to explain this similarity of Y-STR haplotypes within the population of R-M269 members is a recent radiation where various subhaplogroups originated within a relatively short time period. We conclude that high-resolution Y-SNP typing rather than Y-STR typing might be more useful to study population genetic patterns in (Western) Europe.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...12050/abstract

I downloaded the supplementary data, and they said:
Quote:
The ten selected Y-STRs for this network (DYS390, DYS392, DYS438, DYS454, DYS455, DYS388 DYS426, DYS448, DYS437 and DYS393) are those with the lowest mutation rate of the 26 single-copy Y-STRs genotyped for all samples of the dataset.
I've got my maternal grandfather tested and my son, to 67 markers:

My grandfather is R-L21 DF13+ DF41- Griffith from Cardigan, Wales
My son is R-L21+ DF13+ L226+ Frawley from Rathkeale, Limerick Ireland

Checking them, they only differ on DYS448:
DYS390 24/24
DYS392 13/13
DYS438 12/12
DYS454 11/11
DYS455 11/11
DYS388 12/12
DYS426 12/12
DYS448 18/19****
DYS437 15/15
DYS393 13/13

So, what are they saying exactly? More SNP testing and less STR testing? Isn't STR testing still better for close genealogical relationships? Thanks.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:09 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlest bit View Post

So, what are they saying exactly? More SNP testing and less STR testing? Isn't STR testing still better for close genealogical relationships? Thanks.
Yes, STRs in general are still better for close genealogical relationships. The authors deliberately picked the STRs with the lowest mutation rates because they are looking at "population genetic structure."
Old 25th February 2014, 10:54 AM
FTDNA Customer

I think it makes sense to test to 67 markers or 111. I also think it is good to determine your terminal SNP & the estimated age of the SNP. If a your terminal SNP is 2,000 years old & a "match", although quite similar in y-str data, does not share this terminal SNP, then you can be fairly certain that you don't share a patrilineal ancestor within the last 2,000 years.

Short tandem repeats can fluctuate up and down in their counts over time. Once an SNP happens, the chances of it reversing itself are astronomically low.

Consider y-str data for those with a shared terminal SNP.

Timothy Peterman