Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA Success Stories

DNA Success Stories How DNA helped solve a family brick wall. We encourage you to publish your story here. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 1st April 2013, 12:09 PM
FTDNA Customer

Cool Found Cousins with Y-DNA 67 Test

My father took the Y-DNA67 test here at FTDNA, and we found that we connect with the line of George Robinson (b. 1805 in NY). A distance of '0' at 25 markers and a distance of '1' at 37 markers.

Currently, we are working on finding our MRCA.

Most of the other matches are Scottish surnames, so my theory about my Robinson Scottish ancestry gains momentum.

Last edited by RobinsonNY; 1st April 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:30 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonNY View Post
My father took the Y-DNA67 test here at FTDNA, and we found that we connect with the line of George Robinson (b. 1805 in NY). A distance of '0' at 25 markers and a distance of '1' at 37 markers.

Currently, we are working on finding our MRCA.

Most of the other matches are Scottish surnames, so my theory about my Robinson Scottish ancestry gains momentum.
See if you can convince your match to upgrade, and depending on the results you both might want to consider going to Y111.

This is a first step, and may or may not pan out. Y37/GD1 is a bit too ambiguous for serious excitement yet, but it's a promising start. My own experience:

- Ten Y25 GD0 matches who have tested to Y37 or above

- Of those 10, SEVEN are Y37 GD0, three are GD2 or GD3

- Of those 7 Y37 GD0's, five have tested to Y67, ONE is GD0, three are GD1, one is GD2

Interesting side note: I have another Y67 GD2, but he was also Y37 GD2. Just goes to show you that even if you're not starting out with GD0, it doesn't necessarily mean things will get "worse" when going to Y67+.

I hope your match remains close on upgrade. Remember that DNA Day is towards the end of the month, and there is likely to be a sale. Might be a good opportunity.
Old 1st April 2013, 01:29 PM
FTDNA Customer

Thanks!

Thank you very much for that perspective and your advice. I will definitely practice restraint at this level, as I only confirm relationships with traditional genealogy anyway. At this point, I'm just using the DNA for speculation since I hit massive brick wall in my research. My father did take the AncestryDNA autosomal test, and I'm waiting for the capability to upload the raw data here at FTDNA and Gedmatch. I'll see if that gets me anywhere. If that DNA sale is good, I may go for an upgrade. Right now, my close Y-DNA Robinson matches are the only ones with me in R1b Cluster 6 in the Robinson Project here.